none
Redirect loop signing into MSDN forums RRS feed

• Question

• I can't seem to sign into the Forums with my regular Live ID. I get through the sign in process fine but when I am redirected back to the forums they never render successfully. In IE it just hour-glasses. In Chrome I get a decent error message about "This webpage has a redirect loop". I captured the network requests in Chrome Dev Tools and it is attached below.

I've tried clearing cookies & cache, using different browsers, and even tried logging in on my tablet with the same results. I have not signed into the Forums with this account in a while so I might have some dated setting that is causing the issue.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:52 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Your account status is normal. (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Profile/tfz )

Would you try below steps to clean the IE9 Chache and cookies and temporary files?

Clear cache: You need to press F12 ->Click Cache->Clear browser Cache and cookies

Delete temporary file: click the internet options->general tab->click Delete button->select all options->Delete

by the way, please kindly update the chrome version if it is neccessary. and please let us know the chrome version if you still have any difficulty in it thank you.

Thanks.

Friday, September 14, 2012 3:15 AM
  • @Ryan and tfasz,

Both of your accounts' status are normal without banned.

As we see your issue is with Windows Live and your account, we would suggest you contact Windows Live Support. You can find information on that here: http://explore.live.com/windows-live-help-center or there are also some Windows Live forums here that you can ask a question in:
    http://windowslivehelp.com/

Please let us know your browser name and version if the issue is persisting in appeared after cleaning the IE cache , cookies and temporary file as introduced above.

By the way, For providing a quicker and better resolution, we appreciate if you may send us the repro steps with the screen shots of them, if it is necessary and possible.

Monday, September 17, 2012 2:34 AM

All replies

• In IE it just hour-glasses.

If you have IE9 you could use its Developer Tools, Network Capture to see if it is the same loop, undetected.   (F12, etc.)

FWIW I see nothing like this, so I would wonder if you have a problem with scripting.   Again, the IE Developer Tools could help refine your symptom description, e.g. using the Script Debugger.

Another possibility would be security interference.  E.g. there seem to be some new domain names involved with rendering these forum pages.   In order to avoid problems caused by that I recently just removed all Microsoft domain names from my Trusted Sites list and that seems to have fixed those issues.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, September 6, 2012 4:56 PM
  • In IE 9 Developer Tools it basically just shows the same thing - a redirect loop between the /Profile/tfz page and the /Profile/u/terms page. 

I was able to setup a new account and sign in without issue from the same machine/browser so I have to think it is something to do with my original account's settings. Since I ran into the issue I am guessing other folks have as well - just wanted to post an issue so the MSDN team was aware of it. I'm just going to use my new account to post anything going forward.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 6:00 PM
  • I submitted a bug request.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, September 13, 2012 11:34 PM
  • Hello,

Your account status is normal. (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Profile/tfz )

Would you try below steps to clean the IE9 Chache and cookies and temporary files?

Clear cache: You need to press F12 ->Click Cache->Clear browser Cache and cookies

Delete temporary file: click the internet options->general tab->click Delete button->select all options->Delete

by the way, please kindly update the chrome version if it is neccessary. and please let us know the chrome version if you still have any difficulty in it thank you.

Thanks.

Friday, September 14, 2012 3:15 AM
  • I've been having trouble logging into the MSDN Forums on my personal account (ViRGEdx) all week, and after first assuming it was just a temporary server issue, it turns out I'm seeing the same exact problem. Attempting to access the forums on that account has me redirect bouncing between the two profiles pages until IE grows tired of it and stops, so it looks like you're not alone.

• Edited by Ryan Smith_ Saturday, September 15, 2012 2:41 PM
    Saturday, September 15, 2012 2:38 PM
  • @Ryan and tfasz,

Both of your accounts' status are normal without banned.

As we see your issue is with Windows Live and your account, we would suggest you contact Windows Live Support. You can find information on that here: http://explore.live.com/windows-live-help-center or there are also some Windows Live forums here that you can ask a question in:
    http://windowslivehelp.com/

Please let us know your browser name and version if the issue is persisting in appeared after cleaning the IE cache , cookies and temporary file as introduced above.

By the way, For providing a quicker and better resolution, we appreciate if you may send us the repro steps with the screen shots of them, if it is necessary and possible.

Monday, September 17, 2012 2:34 AM
  • im having the same problem. the only reason i can respond now is because im using another account. Please do something about this. My account is old too and I think it has to do with my terms of use. Maybe because the terms on the account are so old that they're not reading on the server now?
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:27 PM
  • Thank you for looking into this, Mike. Hopefully the Windows Live team will have the solution.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:53 PM