none
Improve the user experience in the account verification process

Question

• I'm not saying this mechanism is wrong or something, I'm just trying to talk about the user experiences during this process:

1. There is no notification tell me I should take some action to get my account verified, this only happens after I try to submit my post (or this is also part of the trick to avoid spammer?)

2. There is no "Save" button. I'm a normal user, spent 10 mins compose my post, then found I can't post it with pictures and I have to find some places my self to temporarily save it?

3. Sought a few threads, most say you have to reply some verification thread, but they all get locked! Sure you may have sufficient reasons to lock the threads, but can we do something to better helping users? 

4. I'm a VS ultimiate subscription user and it says I can "Priority Support in MSDN Forums", but I just couldn't post picture in text body... 

Saturday, March 14, 2015 4:20 AM

All replies

• You are correct on all points.  Honestly the verification process is somewhat embarrassing IMO for a company such as Microsoft.  It is done manually, and the threads requesting it are locked because they get too many posts and the pages won't load properly.  So they remake the post and increment the title by 1.  At the moment the current one is Verify Your Account 25.  But that one is over 200 posts so it should be locked soon and #26 will be created.

It has been this way for a long time and no one seems interested in fixing it or even talking about potential changes.  :/

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Monday, March 16, 2015 4:12 PM
  • I gather this experience is common. New users don't find the Forum Issues forum, so they never see the current sticky thread. New users search and find the locked threads.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Saturday, April 4, 2015 5:58 PM
  • Technically, it's easier to not requiring log on before verification process. The first verification process (when the user registers for the first time) can't require the user to be logged on, since he can't: his account is not available until the verification process finishes. If you want to use most of the source code for the successive verification processes (when the user changes the e-mail address), don't require the user to be logged on neither
    Saturday, April 4, 2015 6:18 PM