Quickly moving files around server RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to move a large number of files on the server to organize things. Moving inside the same share works as expected - instant. Moving between shares, on the other hand, is horribly slow. I understand why this is - the computer doesn't know that they aren't on different drives or such, so it performs a normal copy, rather than a traditional move.

My question is, are there any methods of speeding this up? I found logging into RDP and moving the files (using the Shared Folders icon, since I've heard messing with the filesystem can get messy) was much faster - it's acting like copying files between drives, and avoiding the network bottleneck. But are there any other, better, ways to do this? It seems like a common enough task that I'd think there would be something in the OS, or at least an add-in, that would make moving files on the server work more quickly.
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 10:48 PM

All replies

• I am attempting to move a large number of files on the server to organize things. Moving inside the same share works as expected - instant. Moving between shares, on the other hand, is horribly slow. I understand why this is - the computer doesn't know that they aren't on different drives or such, so it performs a normal copy, rather than a traditional move.

My question is, are there any methods of speeding this up? I found logging into RDP and moving the files (using the Shared Folders icon, since I've heard messing with the filesystem can get messy) was much faster - it's acting like copying files between drives, and avoiding the network bottleneck. But are there any other, better, ways to do this? It seems like a common enough task that I'd think there would be something in the OS, or at least an add-in, that would make moving files on the server work more quickly.

There are some copy programs that supposedly copy faster (I think TeraCopy is one, not sure though).  However, in order to get to the "maximum" speed possible, you would need to install it on the server (which is unsupported).  You could try installing it on one of your clients, but I don't know how much it would improve the speed.
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 3:35 AM