Maximum number of drives in WHS RRS feed

• Question

• What is the maximum number of drives that WHS can support?

Also does performance deteriorate with increasing number of drives or not?

My home built WHS currently has 14 drives, including nine 250G drives. I plan to replace these with 500G drives, but will just add new drives if there is no performance hit. 

Setho

Monday, April 28, 2008 10:15 PM

All replies

• The largest known number of drives at present is 28. There's no technical limit that I'm aware of, and performance (as you've seen already, with 14 drives) doesn't degrade significantly with additional drives.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 1:32 AM
  • I would recommend 4 drives including the system/data partitions, first two drives are data, 2nd two are duplication drives. You have to account for drive failures which can and do happen. Most of my data (pictures, videos, etc) is not replaceable. I've had several drive failures in my family in the past year and we've been LUCKY.

Having a central WHS and giving the rest of my family remote access to dump their files for backup is invaluable.

Ken Warren wrote:
    The largest known number of drives at present is 28. There's no technical limit that I'm aware of, and performance (as you've seen already, with 14 drives) doesn't degrade significantly with additional drives.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:21 PM
  • Setho,

14...wow! Nice configuration ;-)

Just make sure your power supply can handle the additional drives? An overloaded powersupply can result in all sort of problems, including drive failures.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 8:31 PM
  • File corruption issues would appear long before actual drive failure due to faulty power supply and that's if the system didn't start rebooting itself due to the power good signal being constantly tripped.

Theo van Elsberg wrote:

Setho,

14...wow! Nice configuration ;-)

Just make sure your power supply can handle the additional drives? An overloaded powersupply can result in all sort of problems, including drive failures.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:15 PM
  • Thanks for the responses.

My current system is housed in a 4U rackmount case with an 850W Rosewill power supply connected to a 1500KVA APC UPS. So I am comfortable about power.  Except for the environment.

I am planning to populate another 4U rackmount case which will double as a BeyondTV server.  I will simply use the power supply from the second case but most of the drives will be connected via a port multiplier to the WHS box. Each rackmount case can hold 15 drives, hence my concern about performance.  My previous set used a CD duplicator to store the drives, but I am going now with rackmount cases for space efficiency. I  intend to add new drives as the without throwing the old drives away.  I will post pictures of my system when it is ready.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 3:15 AM
  • I have a Dell PowerEdge 400SC server with a PC Power and Cooling 450watt PS. I'm running the following disks:

- 500GB WD SATA (Sys/Data)

- 500GB WD SATA (Data)

- 500GB Seagate IDE (Data)

- 500GB WD IDE (Data)

- 250GB WD IDE (Data)

- 250GB WD IDE (Data)

- 400GB Seagate IDE on Promise ATA/133 card (DATA)

- 250GB WD IDE on Promise ATA/133 card (DATA)

3.6GB internal disk total storage, duplication turned on. The CPU is a 2.8GHz hyper-threaded P4 with 2GB ECC RAM. No problems running WHS in this configuration

I also hook up 3 or 4 external 1394/USB2 hard drives, whatever is available at the time...

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:52 PM