Stop error (BSOD) C00000218 Registry file failure RRS feed

• Question

• When my Home server boots it's getting a BSOD Stop Error C00000218 "Registry File Failure Cannot get hive (file) \SYSROOT]SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE OR Its Log or Alternate". I ran disk diagnotics on the hard drive and it's getting surface scan errors. My question is: Is there any way to re-install WHS on another drive and recover the data drives? I'm guessing not but figured I'd ask just in case. It would save a lot of time re-loading 4x1TB data drives.
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 8:38 PM

All replies

• When my Home server boots it's getting a BSOD Stop Error C00000218 "Registry File Failure Cannot get hive (file) \SYSROOT]SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE OR Its Log or Alternate". I ran disk diagnotics on the hard drive and it's getting surface scan errors. My question is: Is there any way to re-install WHS on another drive and recover the data drives? I'm guessing not but figured I'd ask just in case. It would save a lot of time re-loading 4x1TB data drives.

Yes, you can do a Server Reinstallation.  It will create a new OS partition on the new hard drive, then rebuild the tombstones based on whatever data it finds on the other drives in your server.  See the FAQ post:  How do I upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS? for details on how to do that.  (Even though that post is not your scenario, the steps are the same.)
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:06 PM