none
Upgrade to a new server RRS feed

• Question

• My old HP470 Windows Home Server appears to have died; likely power supply failure. Time to move to new hardware and WHS 2011.

Will it be possible to move my existing drives from the old server to the new server? Any tips or guidance on moving my existing data to the new server? Also, any recommendations on hardware?

Thanks,

Steve Hoag Microsoft aka the Lights Witch (IEnumerable of Newt)

Saturday, August 18, 2012 1:48 AM

Answers

• Windows Home Server 2011 will not simply detect that there's data on those drives and share it automatically. You will need to move the data to shares on your server by hand. This FAQ will tell you where the files are, and how to access them.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Steve Hoag Sunday, August 19, 2012 12:54 AM
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:37 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server 2011 will not simply detect that there's data on those drives and share it automatically. You will need to move the data to shares on your server by hand. This FAQ will tell you where the files are, and how to access them.

• Marked as answer by Steve Hoag Sunday, August 19, 2012 12:54 AM
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:37 AM
  • Thanks Ken - that's very helpful. As I interpret the FAQ I should install the old drives in the new server and copy the files over before adding them to the server pool - is that correct? And the methods described still apply in WHS 2011?

58,000 points? Yes, I guess you do post a lot ;-)

Thanks,

Steve Hoag Microsoft aka the Lights Witch (IEnumerable of Newt)

Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:55 AM
  • Strictly speaking, you shouldn't use the server desktop for much of anything. Copying data into your shares is pretty harmless, however. :) After you empty a drive, I would give it a quick format and then move shares as needed.

As for the points, I have a lot because I've been posting in these forums for a long time, and people seem to like my answers. But the points don't matter to me. :)

Sunday, August 19, 2012 12:12 AM
  • Ken,

I need feedback about whether the manual migration of the data, more particularly, a back-up of a Win 7 high end workstation from a HS V1 server and manually migrated to a Home Server 2011 volume, can be used to restore the Win 7 workstation to its last backup condition?  

The C:\ drive on the workstation failed miserably – no recovery.   The attempts to use the workstation backups from the HS V1 server have failed as the recover CD cannot utilize the NIC chips on the mainboard and can’t find a driver to allow the recovery process to connect to the HS V1 Server. 

To complicate matters, the current HS V1 has a failing volume drive (1 of 3) and has provided some minor corruption of basic, non-essential data.  It locks up as well, providing further opportunity for OS corruption.

Can I manually move the back-ups form the old HS V1 volume drives and use them to restore the workstation?  Is the process improved as far as being able to connect to the network and the 2011 server utilizing the restore process from HS 2011?   

Thanks for any help you can provide.

John

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:00 AM
  • No, you can't use a WHS1 backup with WHS2011. The easiest way forward would be to connect your new Workstation drive to a computer which is currently connected to your WHS1 Server and perform a restore from your Workstation backup to that drive. You can then pop it back into your workstation. If it does not boot correctly, boot from your OS installation disk and do a repair to set the boot files correctly.

Hopefully your WHS1 Server stays up long enough for you to do that!

It would have been better for you to have raised a new post for your question as this post is marked as answered.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:12 PM
  • Phil,

Thank you for your suggesstion. I will try that.

Next time I will start a new post.

John

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:42 PM