• Question

• This may sound like a stupid question...but here it goes.

When I setup my WHS and connectors, I did not setup any users, just the master log in.  Now I have gone back and added users.  How do I change a computer so it logs in (or asks to log in) as a different user as opposed to the admin?

Thanks in advance
    Guy
    Monday, January 19, 2009 4:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Guy,
    yes, normal WHS users have no access to the console functions besides those reachable on the tray icon - since the WHS console is a Remote Desktop session with Administrator permissions to the WHS.
    The user account credentials are only necessary for accessing shared folders on the server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, January 19, 2009 9:34 PM

All replies

• I'm not clear on exactly how you have users set up now, and how you reached that point. Could you elaborate a bit? What access have you granted Guest on your server, for example?

In general, though, you will need to create a user on your server that matches the login name of a user on a client PC. So if your daughter's name is "Ashley", and you have given her a login name on her PC (or the family shared PC) of "Ash", you would create a user on your server named "Ash", and you would set the password for both to the same thing.

Does that help?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 19, 2009 4:09 PM
  • What is the login name of your user on the clients? This should be identical and with the same password to the WHS account.
    Also you may have to check, if you stored credential informations for network access. (Click Start/Run, type control keymgr.dll and eliminate entries pointing to your WHS.)
    Olaf
    Monday, January 19, 2009 4:09 PM
  • I have the WHS setup inside my MS Small Business Server network.  It is mainly for backups, but one user (my brother) wants to use it to store pictures.

(This is all off memory)
    I installed the WHS per the cheat sheet that came in the HP box.  Then I installed the software off the CD.  When it asked to setup users, I skipped that step and used the admin password to install the client disk.  Later after the fact, I went into the WHS console and created to users, Guy and Dan.  These are the same user names that we use when we turn on our laptops.  But when I double click on the WHS icon in my taskbar, the only password that works is my admin password.  Is that how it is suppose to work?

Thanks
    Guy
    Monday, January 19, 2009 9:26 PM
  • Hi Guy,
    yes, normal WHS users have no access to the console functions besides those reachable on the tray icon - since the WHS console is a Remote Desktop session with Administrator permissions to the WHS.
    The user account credentials are only necessary for accessing shared folders on the server.

Olaf
    Monday, January 19, 2009 9:34 PM