none
[http://moneycentral.msn.com]Portfolio Manager custom view not working

Question

• In Portfolio Manager I can't get "custom view' to work correctly.  I set up the columns I want and when I turn the computer on again next time the custom columns are back to the default ones.  This started a couple days ago.  Anyone know what's going on?   Does this on all my computers.
    Fran
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 1:03 AM

All replies

• It is important that your Money file not be within the Programs folder in Vista or Windows 7. Instead move your *.mny file to your Documents folder. Open that file, and see if your changes "take". If this does not seem to be the situation, there are other things to check. I don't know what else would cause this, but here are some more things to consider.

Do not overwrite your backup from a few days ago but before this problem started. Restoring that backup may fix things. Also, in Windows, try restoring a restore point that pre-dates the problem. Search for "restore point" and Windows to find how to do that.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:09 AM
  • cal learner, not sure how to do  what you suggest.  The portfolio is stored on the web at Microsoft I assume.  Where is the command to save .mny files to my computer?
    Fran
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 7:20 PM
  • cal learner, not sure how to do  what you suggest.  The portfolio is stored on the web at Microsoft I assume.  Where is the command to save .mny files to my computer?
    Fran

Ahhh. Now it starts to make sense. I now am thinking you are talking about MSN Money, which you access via Internet Explorer, rather than Microsoft Money, which I had assumed. [http://moneycentral.msn.com] Right? My previous comments would not be relevant to MSN  Money.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 7:35 PM
  • I think it's fixed---I hope.  I ran Auslogics Registry cleaner utility and Portfolio Manager seems to be saving my custom view again. 
    Fran
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 4:11 AM
  • Never mind, it's not fixed.  Something still wrong with Portfolio Manager.   There must not be many people that use it any longer.  I can't even find anyone complaining right now.  But, this is happening on all my computers.
    Fran
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 1:01 AM
  • I'm having a similar problem - my custom view got lost on 1/20/12. I can recreate it but now it only saves on the PC I create it on (previously creating or changes made to a custom view were reflected from any PC I logged in with). A bigger issue though is that a around 1/10/12 (I think after the monthly Windows Updates), Portfolio Manager keeps giving an error when it tries to do the quote updates or when I close the browser window. So basically I can't get it to update quotes.

Running Windows 7, Explorer 9 (Update Version: 9.0.4 (KB261844))

Saturday, January 21, 2012 2:01 PM
  • I am Using Windows 7 and IE 9

I started having problems last week (around Jan 10-Jan 15 2012) where I could not add transations to my portfolio like reinvested dividends. After entering in the data I would get the above popup about the "problem with the network or online service" and any number of "OK to refresh" attempts resulted in the same popup error message. I eventually had to "Cancel'. Then yesterday I had problems even getting into "Portfolio Manager" and this mornig when I did get in I noticed that my "custom view" I had setup years ago was now back to the defaults! I sent a feed back to MSN Money last week about the update issue but I have not received any response back. Feedback forms apparently end up in some "black hole"! Also the MSN Portfolio "site status page" hasn't been updated for months. I guess they don't want to own up to any "problem with the network or online service"!

I have noticed that if I use a PC running the old Windows XP OS and IE 7, I am able to successfully add transactions and they are being saved. I can see the updates on my Windows 7/IE9 machine breifly before I start getting the dreaded "problem with the network or online service" popups. Alas!

Ray in VA

Saturday, January 21, 2012 6:18 PM
  • Microsoft, the parent company of Microsoft Money, a software program which I own and have used since 1995 stopped supporting it on January 31st, 2011. Those of us who follow this site have been able to continue to use Microsoft Money and all its great capabilities, including Portfolio Manager because we don't rely on other links to do the job. The portfolio manager being discussed here is, apparently related to MSN  online support which may or may not be supporting their product now.  Bottom line seems to be that Microsoft is getting out of the personal finance business and if Microsoft personal finance products are REALLY important to you, you had better learn how to work with them with your own brain and knowledge and not expect some third party to feed all the data to the program for you. Mannually loading data may seem time consumming, but look how much time is wasted trying to solve problems that YOU have very little control over. Food for thought? Good luck. Steve
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 9:43 PM
  • I am not sure what Steve is getting at - I think we are commenting about the free moneycentral portfolio manager at this URL:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/stock_portfolio

Free Portfolio Managers are pretty common on the web. I have used SmartMoney.com and Morningstar.com and they are pretty good.

However, I started using the moneycentral Portfolio Manager after Microsoft dropped support for the old Money Portfolio Manager and intend to stick with it. I am disappointed about the frequency of problems with the new rendition of the Porfoilio Manager.

As Fran pointed out it in the original post, moneycentral is having some problems and I hope someone from Microsoft is reading this forum.   

Ray in VA

Saturday, January 21, 2012 11:09 PM
  • I have been having the same problem, not being able to save any changes to my portfolio for several weeks.  However all the investments that were there at the time this problem started are updated correctly every day.  This is very frustrating as I have been using this program for many years in its various forms.  Its impossible to get any response from Microsoft.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 4:05 AM
  • I'm having the same problem. shows loading 100% but nothing comes up. Have been using it for 8 years.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 4:26 PM
  • I am Using Windows 7 and IE 9

I started having problems last week (around Jan 10-Jan 15 2012) where I could not add transations to my portfolio like reinvested dividends. After entering in the data I would get the above popup about the "problem with the network or online service" and any number of "OK to refresh" attempts resulted in the same popup error message. I eventually had to "Cancel'. Then yesterday I had problems even getting into "Portfolio Manager" and this mornig when I did get in I noticed that my "custom view" I had setup years ago was now back to the defaults! I sent a feed back to MSN Money last week about the update issue but I have not received any response back. Feedback forms apparently end up in some "black hole"! Also the MSN Portfolio "site status page" hasn't been updated for months. I guess they don't want to own up to any "problem with the network or online service"!

I have noticed that if I use a PC running the old Windows XP OS and IE 7, I am able to successfully add transactions and they are being saved. I can see the updates on my Windows 7/IE9 machine breifly before I start getting the dreaded "problem with the network or online service" popups. Alas!

Ray in VA

I'm having the exact same symptoms.  I can't save on a Windows 7 64 bit PC, but can save on an older 32 bit laptop.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:43 AM
  • I have noticed that if I use a PC running the old Windows XP OS and IE 7, I am able to successfully add transactions and they are being saved. I can see the updates on my Windows 7/IE9 machine breifly before I start getting the dreaded "problem with the network or online service" popups. Alas!

Ray in VA

You could try reverting to your earlier version of IE. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9 tells how to do that. If that solves a problem for you, I suggest you submit a bug report to the IE9 folks. It could benefit other users too.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:54 AM
  • I have been unable to save for several weeks, and lost my custom view, on my Windows 7 64 bit PC.

I am able to save new transactions on an older 32 bit PC,  and the newer PC will pick up the changes on a refresh.

At least seeing that others are having this problem will keep me from wasting more time repeatedly clearing my chache, reinstalling, disabling firewalls, and other trouble shooting.

T.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:00 AM
  •  

I submitted a problem report to Microsoft Support asking them to review this forum.

We will see if they even respond.

One other update. I found another forum complaining about the wide unusable margins on both sides of the portfolio display area.

In that forum one suggestion was to use the Canadian version of MoneyCentral.

http://money.ca.msn.com

At the Canadian site I was able to make updates and they were saved to the server. Unfortunately the profile goes back to the default display and you have to recustomize at the first visit. Also the currency values are prefixed with "US$". The TOTAL values are in CANADIAN dollars however! Ticker symbols are prefixed with US: and symbols for any new postions have to be entered with the US: prefix.

Obviously this is not something I want to do for the long term. Microsoft needs to fix the US version of the moneycentral MSN Money Portfolio Manager. It is only a temporary work around.

Ray in VA

• Edited by Ray in VA Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:00 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:58 PM
  • I've been having the same problem with the software refusing to accept new data and save it for future reference.  This is really irritating.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 3:19 PM
  • 64, Vista, IE9 - same problem.
    Frank Babz
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 2:18 PM
  • 64, Vista, IE9 - same problem.
    Frank Babz

From a number of responses here and in other threads on this site it DOES seem that there are problems with using Microsoft Money's Portfolio Manager (including the Sunset versions) and at the same time being connected with the Internet Explorer version 9. This appears to be the case even with various online versions of Portfolio Manager. My problem involved just PRINTING the report but there must be other issues also. I solved my problem by switching back to IE8. I kinda think that Microsoft isn't going to fix Portfolio Manager and they might not even attempt to fix IE9 as it relates to Portfolio Manager so my suggestion for those who can work with IE8 instead of IE9 to make the switch back and see what happens. Just my opinion as a non tech person. Steve
    • Proposed as answer by mr eye Saturday, January 28, 2012 6:59 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by mr eye Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:00 PM
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:03 PM
  • try using firefox.
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:01 PM
  • That's what I like - a simple answer that seems to work!

I've tried the following combos;

Win7 + IE8 >> No Good

XP + IE8 >> OK

Vista + IE9  >> OK

So I'm thinking the problem is lying in Win7 rather IE8 or 9.  Firefox did the trick in the Win7 PC.  I can update, create custom views and all other features like I used to.  The only problem I see is that the "Sign Out" button at the top of the page is missing.

I'd liek to hear from others if this works for you.

Sunday, January 29, 2012 2:46 PM
  • That's what I like - a simple answer that seems to work!

I've tried the following combos;

Win7 + IE8 >> No Good

XP + IE8 >> OK

Vista + IE9  >> OK

So I'm thinking the problem is lying in Win7 rather IE8 or 9.  Firefox did the trick in the Win7 PC.  I can update, create custom views and all other features like I used to.  The only problem I see is that the "Sign Out" button at the top of the page is missing.

I'd liek to hear from others if this works for you.

Vista + IE9 did NOT work for me. I have had Vista for over 4 years and when I switched from IE8 to IE9, that is when my printing problems began. Since I switched back to IE8, no problems. Just MY experience. Steve
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Sorry Jersey Guy, but I am Vista 64 + IE9 and it fails for me.

I briefly tried the http://ca.moneycentral.msn.com/investor/portfolio-manager/portfolio.aspx?

and think it OK, but want to try again with markets open and see if updates will save.

Frank Babz
    • Proposed as answer by Frank Babz Sunday, January 29, 2012 3:43 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Frank Babz Sunday, January 29, 2012 3:43 PM
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 3:23 PM
  • Sorry Jersey Guy, but I am Vista 64 + IE9 and it fails for me.

I briefly tried the http://ca.moneycentral.msn.com/investor/portfolio-manager/portfolio.aspx?

and think it OK, but want to try again with markets open and see if updates will save.

Frank Babz

Frank/Steve,

So today, the Vista (which is 32 bit) does not work but the Firefox on my Win7-32 bit/IE8 machine (my main PC) seems to be OK so I guess I'll be a happy guy until that stops too.  I wish it were as easy as one of the security settings but it seems to go deeper and I'm not enough of a hack to be able to find out.  My custom views and transactions can be saved but I still haven't tried printing.

I've looked at many other on-line portolio trackers but none are comprehensive as this one for tracking my billions.  I'll miss it when it finally stops completely.  Meanwhile, I'll be monitoring forums like this one in case one of you guys comes up with something.   Thanks for the tips.

Jerzey

Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:00 PM
  • I'm using Win 7, 64 bit, Firefox and still cannot get Portfolio Manager to save my "Custom View" after I shut the computer off.  I can easily create a custom view, it just won't get saved after shutting the computer down.   I think one of Microsofts updates about 3 weeks ago has messed it up.  They typically get around to fixing it sooner or later, but  it must not be a priority for them.  I do like their portfolio manger very much.  Easy to read, comprehensive and best of all I can track portfolios and multiple brokers, mutual funds, etc.  I think their port. mgr. is better than even most paid one's out there.  It's certainly the best free one out there hands down.

Fran

Monday, January 30, 2012 6:23 AM
  • "Microsoft, the parent company of Microsoft Money, a software program which I own and have used since 1995 stopped supporting it on January 31st, 2011. Those of us who follow this site have been able to continue to use Microsoft Money and all its great capabilities, including Portfolio Manager because we don't rely on other links to do the job. The portfolio manager being discussed here is, apparently related to MSN  online support which may or may not be supporting their product now.  Bottom line seems to be that Microsoft is getting out of the personal finance business and if Microsoft personal finance products are REALLY important to you, you had better learn how to work with them with your own brain and knowledge and not expect some third party to feed all the data to the program for you. Mannually loading data may seem time consumming, but look how much time is wasted trying to solve problems that YOU have very little control over. Food for thought? Good luck.

Steve"

Steve, we are talking about the ONLINE version of Portfolio Manager that is not tied to your "MONEY" software.  You know, I'm running a $5 million portfolio of my own money on Port. Mgr. and maybe my "brain and knowledge" is sooooo inept that I shouldn't "expect some third party to feed all the date to the program to me?   Maybe us dummy's need your financial advice to get rich, do you suppose so?

Fran
    Monday, January 30, 2012 6:30 AM
  • I've been using Firefox.  Same problems.  Custom view isn't saved after the computer is shut off.  Win 7, 64 bit, firfox.

Fran
    Monday, January 30, 2012 6:40 AM
  • using the msn portfolio manager site since 1996. hands down the best site for following & researching your portfolios.

the popup "portfolio manager is experiencing a problem......try again" started jan 15th. ms customer support responded once. i have not heard from them since jan 19th.

very frustrating. i love the portfolio manager website.

my desktop is running : win 7 ultimate 64 bit. browser ie 9.0 256 bit.

just guessing the browser was the problem. i tried firefox 9.0.1. immediate success. record buys. record sales. edit the custom view. etc. i don't use that browser for anything else. it's been working for 48 hours now. hope it does the same for you.

Monday, January 30, 2012 7:24 PM
  • I took Cal's (moderator?) original suggestion:

You could try reverting to your earlier version of IE. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9 tells how to do that. If that solves a problem for you, I suggest you submit a bug report to the IE9 folks. It could benefit other users too.

Like many others have found on this forum, after backing out to IE 8 on Windows 7, I have not had the problems we have all been experiencing. I like to stay current with Microsoft updates and this is the first time I have had to back something out. It was painless and it solved the problem!

I probably won't report this to the Microsoft "IE9 folks" since I'm still waiting for a reply to my original "bug reports". Why bother? These user forums are more helpful than Microsoft support!

Thanks everyone!

Ray in VA

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:16 PM
  •  

It's back ... but fixed again!

After removing IE 9 and going back to IE 8 I had no more problems with the Porfolio Manager. However today I installed 4 updates after Windows Update notified me that "New updates are available".  After the required restart, the Porfolio Manager was broke again behaving as before with the dreaded popup about the "problem with the network or online service" ! 

I then started removing the updates one at a time to find the offending culprit. It appears to be update KB2618444 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer published 12/13/2011.  After removing that update, the Portfolio Manager was working OK again! 

So, if you are still experiencing the "problem with the network or online service" I would suggest you look at your 'Installed Updates" in "Windows Update". If you see KB2618444 try "uninstall"ing it and see if it fixes your Portfolio Manager. It worked for me!

• Proposed as answer by Ray in VA Thursday, February 02, 2012 12:40 AM
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 12:39 AM
  • Hi Ray...

Great detective work on your part.

I'm Vista 64, IE9 and I removed the update you identified.  Must be complex as it required a restart to complete.  US PMgr appears to now be working OK.  Tomorrow will check again and report back ONLY if it fails again.

Side note 1:  Tried the CA PMgr suggested above, and the wider format is great, and if I had an option to remove all the US and US$ notations I would continue using it all the time.  Very nice!

Side note 2:  If the above update is the culpret, I imagine it tightened up a priviledge loophole (as I guessed in an earlier post).  I hope we haven't opened a huge problem removing the update.

Bottom line... Great find on your part, and I will risk (for now) not reinstalling the update.

Frank Babz
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 1:34 AM
  • I think I have Portfolio Manager custom view working on all my computers now.  One Vista and two Win 7 machines--all using Firefox.   Microsoft must have done a fix a few days ago.  My Win 7 laptop wouldn't keep the custom view however.  Today I finally narrowed it down to a free utility software I was using called "Advanced System Care".  It must have been erasing some info that was storing my portfolio on the laptop.   Portfolio Mgr has given me big time grief over the years, but, for me, it is the best software I know of for tracking multiple accounts and different brokers and mutual funds all on one screen.  It's comprehensive, easy to read, updates effectively, maintains multiple years of history.  I'd pay to use if if they ever wanted to charge me, I like it that much--except when it has its hiccups.
    Fran
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 3:55 AM
  • The problem with removing a security update is you are now less secure.

Fran
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 3:58 AM
  • You are correct Fran...    Two wrongs do not make it right.   At least we (with Ray's great find) seem to know now the problem is likely(?) a security issue, and maybe someone will find a better solution (or MS will fix the US PMgr).  I plan to reinstall the update.  

Does anyone know where PMgr maintained it's data files (prior to XP or Vista), and where they would be installed today?  Then, maybe moving the data files, or changing permissions would do the trick?

Frank Babz
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 1:20 PM
  • Too weird to explain...  but after reinstalling the update my US Pmgr is working!   Go figure.
    Frank Babz
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 5:11 PM
  • PMgr now working correctly. and with ie9 browser!!!!! miracles do happen !!!

Thursday, February 02, 2012 5:59 PM
  • Side note 1:  Tried the CA PMgr suggested above, and the wider format is great,

Frank Babz

Frank,

For the wider format issue:  Have you tried going to VIEW > TEXT SIZE > LARGER?  Oddly enough, it does not increase text or font size (like CTRL- or CTRL+) but in PMgr it expands the column area to fill the width of the screen. 

All my PC's are now working too! w/o rolling back the update.  Even the custom view I created in Firefox is showing up in IE.  How long could this last?

Ed in NJ

Thursday, February 02, 2012 8:06 PM
  • For the wider format issue:  Have you tried going to VIEW > TEXT SIZE > LARGER?  Oddly enough, it does not increase text or font size (like CTRL- or CTRL+) but in PMgr it expands the column area to fill the width of the screen. 

Ed in NJ

Ed,

I THANK YOU (loudly) for the tip.  Works great.

Sounds like PMgr itself may have been fixed...  Keeping my fingers crossed...

Frank.... in beautiful Sarasota

Frank Babz
    Friday, February 03, 2012 12:55 AM
  • Frank, Fran, Mr. Eye, Ed,

PMgr is still working for me too even after Windows Update downloaded and reinstalled the Security Update for IE update, KB261844.  I thought for sure PMgr would be broke again but to my surprise it was still working! Strange indeed!

I see others have discovered that PMgr may be fixed on IE 9 too , so I reinstalled IE 9.  So far so good.

Ed, My thanks too for the tip on the wide margins issue, no more left-right scrolling needed!

Keep your fingers crossed everyone!

Ray in VA

Friday, February 03, 2012 1:19 AM
  • having the same issue but it just started 6/12/2012....have been using their portfolio for years with no problems.  Ever resolve your issue?

Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:39 PM
  • How is this resolved? I have a small square for Portfolio Manager and can't see all the columns or rows!
    Tuesday, January 08, 2013 3:02 AM