CRM 4 and basic authentication RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I have been working with a variety of clients that need to connect to the web services of CRM 4.  By default, CRM 4 is configured to support only NTLM and SPNEGO authentication.  I now have a client that is using a program that only supports Basic authentication to connect to the web services.  I have tried setting only the MSCRMSERVICES sub directory to basic authentication in IIS but I get 403 errors when I try opening my workplace in CRM using IE.  Does anyone know if Basic authentication is supported by CRM?  Whether the answer is yes or no, is this properly documented anywhere by Microsoft?  The client wants written confirmation of the fact.

Thanks.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 3:09 PM

Answers

• Hi em,

I don't have any problems running basic authentication, however I set that at the web site level, not virtual directory.

Each time I try log in, I am queried for my username and password however, unless I also tick integrated.

I couldn't tell you MS's official policy on the matter, but it shouldn't matter at IIS level. You're passing down a particular credential from IIS afterall, whether through integrated or basic, shoudln't make a difference.

I believe MSCRM support HTTPS, which relies on basic being selected, so my best guess (until you find an official answer) is yes.

Cheers,

Karlo

Thursday, October 2, 2008 3:31 PM

All replies

• Hi em,

I don't have any problems running basic authentication, however I set that at the web site level, not virtual directory.

Each time I try log in, I am queried for my username and password however, unless I also tick integrated.

I couldn't tell you MS's official policy on the matter, but it shouldn't matter at IIS level. You're passing down a particular credential from IIS afterall, whether through integrated or basic, shoudln't make a difference.

I believe MSCRM support HTTPS, which relies on basic being selected, so my best guess (until you find an official answer) is yes.

Cheers,

Karlo

Thursday, October 2, 2008 3:31 PM
  • Ok thanks Karlo.  I'd like to try switching the entire site to Basic but I am just worried that one or two screens no longer work.  Also, this customer requires us to obtain official documents from MS whenever we make a change to the standard installation.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 4:42 PM