none
Added new router, lost remote desktop and connection from wireless W7 laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I had a working setup with an Apple Airport Extreme 10/100, wireless N, netgear gigabit switch.  I just swapped out the Airport for a new Netgear WND3700 (updated firmware) and set the switch aside so the WHS, HTPC and Mini are wired to the router.  I re-ran the WHS console on the laptop that is running on the 5GHz N channel and it can't find the server (ran it again wired and it worked).  Can't connect to shared folders folder that connector software puts on the desktop, mapped network drives of my most used shared folders on WHS and the remote desktop no longer work either.  I hook the laptop up with ethernet cable to router and it finds it no problem.  So basically I can't see the server when wireless.  The HTPC has none of the listed problems.  DHCP is on and gives the WHS an IP.

I had to reconnect my wireless printer with a new IP and add the "new" printer to my laptop so I have a funny feeling there is an IP conflict with the server somehow.

I have no idea how to reset this stuff.  Am I way off base here?  Is there something stupid I am missing that I can get yelled at that the answer has been given before?

Please help.  I need to use the laptop remote desktop for the WHS although I can use it wired or use the HTPC.

Backups work fine though. Go figure.

Friday, May 7, 2010 12:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    after changing the router the hardware usually gets new IP addresses, if assigned via DHCP. Also routers from different makers often use different subnets, so that fixed IP addresses of the old subnet no longer would work. Some routers use also different subnets for wired and wireless connections or special firewall functions to protect your network.

It could be helpful for any diagnosis, if you would post the output of ipconfig /all on the client and the server.

In Network Properties or Network and Sharing Center/Manage Network adapters (depends from your client OS) in menu Advanced/Advanced Settings check also, which adapter has the priority position - should be the WLAN adapter in this case.

Please take also a quick look into the FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server - maybe you find the one or other hint there.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by Supe_ Friday, May 7, 2010 11:45 PM
    Friday, May 7, 2010 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    after changing the router the hardware usually gets new IP addresses, if assigned via DHCP. Also routers from different makers often use different subnets, so that fixed IP addresses of the old subnet no longer would work. Some routers use also different subnets for wired and wireless connections or special firewall functions to protect your network.

It could be helpful for any diagnosis, if you would post the output of ipconfig /all on the client and the server.

In Network Properties or Network and Sharing Center/Manage Network adapters (depends from your client OS) in menu Advanced/Advanced Settings check also, which adapter has the priority position - should be the WLAN adapter in this case.

Please take also a quick look into the FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server - maybe you find the one or other hint there.

Olaf

• Marked as answer by Supe_ Friday, May 7, 2010 11:45 PM
    Friday, May 7, 2010 6:20 PM
  • Please take also a quick look into the FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server  - maybe you find the one or other hint there.

Olaf

Olaf the great and wonderful!!!

Thank you so much for answering my post and I have to apologize for wasting your time! 

I found my answer in the FAQs.  My stupid problem is that I had been to so many forums trying to find a solution that I had gone through your FAQs and thought I had done some of the steps including what worked.

I don't know if it was a combination of the two or what.  I ran discovery.exe and everything went well with that wirelessly which I don't recall getting that far before by running the connector software.  But that in itself did not fix it.  I still had no access to mapped drives, home server console or remote desktop.  I then edited the hosts file by adding my server IP, etc. and that did the trick.  I am still shocked.  I knew it was something stupid. 

Thank you for the FAQ and making me feel stupid for not truly following it.  I'll take the humility for my laptop able to connect again.

And the biggest thanks comes from my wife.

Friday, May 7, 2010 11:45 PM