System drive starting to fail and need to replace RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using WHS for about a month now after building a system using some older parts.  What i didn't know at the time, but know now after reading some of the posts, that my primary drive should be large, 500GB, though I only have it as an 80 GB drive.  At the time, I had a trial version of WHS and wanted to see how it performed so I slapped it on to an old 80GB drive. 

Anyway, the main drive is starting to fail (got an error message from WHS about a drive error, which it fixed) and I would like to replace it with a 500GB drive.

I have a 140 and another 500GB in the system currently with backups, photos and music.  The only critical data I would not want to loose are the photos.

My question is can I yank out the 80GB drive, reinstall WHS and be off and running?  Or is there something else I need to be aware of, such as if I add the other 500GB to the storage pool do I loose all existing data on it?

Thanks
    Friday, February 29, 2008 1:49 AM

Answers

• If you have plenty of space in your storage pool, then you won't lose any files by just removing the 80 GB drive and replacing it with a 500 GB drive. There is a chance you will lose your backups however.

What I would recommend you try is a server reinstallation. If you replace your system drive and boot off your WHS dvd, you should get a server reinstallation option. That will reinstall the operating system, and rebuild the D: parititon (with tombstones), but won't affect any of your data.
    Friday, February 29, 2008 4:20 PM

All replies

• If you have plenty of space in your storage pool, then you won't lose any files by just removing the 80 GB drive and replacing it with a 500 GB drive. There is a chance you will lose your backups however.

What I would recommend you try is a server reinstallation. If you replace your system drive and boot off your WHS dvd, you should get a server reinstallation option. That will reinstall the operating system, and rebuild the D: parititon (with tombstones), but won't affect any of your data.
    Friday, February 29, 2008 4:20 PM
  • I wonder if there is a possibility that the rebuild process could be subject to the corruption bug?

Friday, February 29, 2008 7:00 PM
  • Thanks Ken for the help.  I'll replace my sys drive with a new 500gig drive an reinstall from my dvd.

By the way, what do you mean when you refer to tombstones? 

Should I be concerned, as Jimbo says, about the data corruption?

Thanks

Lee
    Friday, February 29, 2008 7:49 PM
  • Note that when you go to do the reinstall, you have to select "server reinstallation" rather than "new installation" at the appropriate point.

No you should not be concerned about the file corruption issue, it's not going to affect the restore process because no files are actually being edited.
    Friday, February 29, 2008 8:54 PM
  • Ken,

I'll add a couple more points to this since I just got through adding a new sys disk to the system.

I first tried adding the new disk without my other disks attached that had "WHS data" on them, and going through the install routine all I was able to choose was a new server install.  Apparently without the disks that previously had interaction with WHS, the setup program assumes that it is a new install.  Once I reattached the former disks, I had the option of executing a server reinstall.

The setup routine assumes that the disk is ready to accept data.  It is not like an XP or Vista setup where you can choose the partition and whether you want NTFS or FAT32.  So if you get an OEM disk, make sure you download the setup files to prepare the partition.

Another positiive thing that happened is that I did not loose any of my backups, which is always a good thing!  All I had to do with the other machines on my network is to re-run the connector setup.

I'll have to wait a while while the system balances the storage, but I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

Lee
    Sunday, March 2, 2008 2:12 PM
  •  

Glad to hear the re-install went well (if only, in case I should ever need to do so!).
    Sunday, March 2, 2008 10:12 PM