Dead Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• To whom it may concern,

My lil E-machine had XP home edition with a 20 gigabyte hard drive. I started having trouble and it kept getting worse, Finally it wouldnot boot and the hard drive locked up!

I had taken it to a local repair shop, I was told the hard drive was shot(wouldnot work anymore). I had a 60 gigabyte hard drive at home and brought down to the repair shop to be installed.

They couldnot get any information off the old hard drive and therefore had installed XP professional.

I havent used this particular machine on the internet.

Untill i decided I needed some updates to use G-max for my Microsoft CFS-3. I am starting to use XP more now that support for my dearly loved "ME"(and will be sadly missed) is gone? For It doesnot match the product key on the back of my computer case, I canot get updates?! I understand microsofts point in piracy , BUT, under the circumstances; machine was bought with windows pre installed and I did have a valid key, I couldnot get the home edition off my bad HD, I did have a valid key!!!Can I possibly be granted a validation concerning my circumstances? Thank You! Very upset-- SINCERLY<<AXE>>

Friday, April 27, 2007 11:45 PM

Answers

• Axehandlejack,

The failure of any specific component in a properly licensed Windows computer does not invalidate or cancel the license you had to run Windows.  So, you don't "lose your license" to run XP if the computer breaks.

In cases of major manufacturer computers where they use the SLP system to lock their recovery CDs to the motherboard, or where the recovery data is stored on the hard disk drive and there is no Recovery CD, the failure of the hard disk or motherboard puts the computer owner in a predicament with respect to getting XP legally installed back onto the computer.

In your case the simplest option would be to contact eMachines and ask if they can send you a Recovery CD kit for your model of eMachines.  In the USA, if they have your Recovery CD available, they have a flat rate price of $25 to ship it to you second day air.  If eMachines does not have the Kit in stock, check for example www.restoredisks.com or other online vendor who specializes in selling genuine Recovery CDs.

If none of the above options are available to you, then you can borrow from a friend or relative a genuine Microsoft systembuilder/OEM XP CDROM for the edition of XP that came with the computer, most likely XP Home Edition.  A CD from a name-brand computer will not work; you need to use a CD that has "For distribution with a new PC" on the CD's hologram.  DO NOT be tempted to use an iso downloaded from the internet, and do not use a burned copy unless you actually see the lending person burn the copy for you.  The reason is that quite often downloaded and/or burned copies of XP CDs are loaded with rootkits, spyware, viruses, and who-know-what-else, and that's something you don't want.

Once you have the CD, backup your data, then use the MS systembuilder/OEM CD plus the Product Key from the XP Home COA affixed to your eMachines computer to do a clean installation of XP Home.

Once installation is done, the last step is activation.  The trick is that you must choose to activate by telephone; if the automated phone activation system rejects your attempt, choose the option to speak with a live activation representative.  Explain that your eMachines recovery partition was lost when the hard disk drive failed and that you are using a systembuilder/OEM CD to do a clean installation.  The rep will ask you some questions to determine if you are using the XP Home license in accordance with the End User Licensing Agreement, and if so, will issue you the needed activation code to enter into the Activation Wizard.

Post back to tell us how you did!

Saturday, April 28, 2007 3:09 PM
  • Axehandlejack,

Of the two suggested solutions (buy Recovery CD from eMachines or borrow genuine Microsoft systembuilder/OEM CD from a buddy), IMO the preferred solution is the Recovery CD solution.  It probably won't cost too much, certainly less than 1/4 of the price of buying a new copy Windows XP, and it will always stay with the computer in case you decide to sell it at some future point as you save up for a Vista computer  The Recovery CD has the advantage of being very easy to use, you just start the computer from the CD and off it goes, in about 15 minutes you have a full installation of XP with all of the drivers already installed--in fact the Recovery CD will have the computer just the same way it was when you took it out of the box brand new.

I would wait patiently for that email to see if they can send you the needed Recovery CD.

The borrowing solution has the advantage of being less expensive ($0.00), but it will make you sweat a bit.  First you have to know how to install XP.  It's not that hard and there are good tutorials you can follow.  Then, eMachines is not known for posting a lot of drivers on their support site, so if your eMachines has components that need special drivers you may pull your hair out looking for them on the Net.  Then once installed, you have to do a Telephone Activation.

Monday, April 30, 2007 2:26 PM

All replies

• Axehandlejack,

The failure of any specific component in a properly licensed Windows computer does not invalidate or cancel the license you had to run Windows.  So, you don't "lose your license" to run XP if the computer breaks.

In cases of major manufacturer computers where they use the SLP system to lock their recovery CDs to the motherboard, or where the recovery data is stored on the hard disk drive and there is no Recovery CD, the failure of the hard disk or motherboard puts the computer owner in a predicament with respect to getting XP legally installed back onto the computer.

In your case the simplest option would be to contact eMachines and ask if they can send you a Recovery CD kit for your model of eMachines.  In the USA, if they have your Recovery CD available, they have a flat rate price of $25 to ship it to you second day air.  If eMachines does not have the Kit in stock, check for example www.restoredisks.com or other online vendor who specializes in selling genuine Recovery CDs.

If none of the above options are available to you, then you can borrow from a friend or relative a genuine Microsoft systembuilder/OEM XP CDROM for the edition of XP that came with the computer, most likely XP Home Edition.  A CD from a name-brand computer will not work; you need to use a CD that has "For distribution with a new PC" on the CD's hologram.  DO NOT be tempted to use an iso downloaded from the internet, and do not use a burned copy unless you actually see the lending person burn the copy for you.  The reason is that quite often downloaded and/or burned copies of XP CDs are loaded with rootkits, spyware, viruses, and who-know-what-else, and that's something you don't want.

Once you have the CD, backup your data, then use the MS systembuilder/OEM CD plus the Product Key from the XP Home COA affixed to your eMachines computer to do a clean installation of XP Home.

Once installation is done, the last step is activation.  The trick is that you must choose to activate by telephone; if the automated phone activation system rejects your attempt, choose the option to speak with a live activation representative.  Explain that your eMachines recovery partition was lost when the hard disk drive failed and that you are using a systembuilder/OEM CD to do a clean installation.  The rep will ask you some questions to determine if you are using the XP Home license in accordance with the End User Licensing Agreement, and if so, will issue you the needed activation code to enter into the Activation Wizard.

Post back to tell us how you did!

Saturday, April 28, 2007 3:09 PM
  •  Hello DAN,

Thank You for the reply! Yes I am in a bad predicament.I see there is some difference between pro and home editions(looks the same to me)! The link you gave me may have a recovery CD. If i can get one thru mail by a postal money order for I have no Credit cards. (will try e-machines later, last i chated with them the T1115 was no longer supported but, will try again)

DAN Just what is a Recovery CD????????????????????

The next option I will have no such luck, for I know no one with XP home edition?

I would hope that I wouldnot have to reinstall XP, even if I knew how!?

Anyway I could skip the first steps and call the microsoft representative(were do I conntact microsoft directly?) and beg for a Activation code considering the circumstances?

My computer is small and older(I am not rich), and not worth to much more.

Thank you for your tiome and patience in this very important issue!! SINCERLY::<<AXE>>

Saturday, April 28, 2007 7:14 PM
  •  DAN,

I hate to bother you again but, I was reading over your answer and If I get a "Recovery CD" I willnot need to get the XP home edition off a friend (This is immpossible)????????

I am assuming the "Recovery CD" would have XP on the disk, and thats all I would need to reinstall XP ??/??/

I did chat with "E-machines" and I am still waiting for the E-mail they are supposed to send me with instructions on how to order the "Recovery CD".

The whole thing is begining to look like a nasty nightmare, Still think it would be easier if "Microsoft" could just grant me a activation code so i can save up for "Vista".!

PLZ post back with some kinda light at the end of the tunnel<<AXE>>

Monday, April 30, 2007 11:11 AM
  • Axehandlejack,

Of the two suggested solutions (buy Recovery CD from eMachines or borrow genuine Microsoft systembuilder/OEM CD from a buddy), IMO the preferred solution is the Recovery CD solution.  It probably won't cost too much, certainly less than 1/4 of the price of buying a new copy Windows XP, and it will always stay with the computer in case you decide to sell it at some future point as you save up for a Vista computer  The Recovery CD has the advantage of being very easy to use, you just start the computer from the CD and off it goes, in about 15 minutes you have a full installation of XP with all of the drivers already installed--in fact the Recovery CD will have the computer just the same way it was when you took it out of the box brand new.

I would wait patiently for that email to see if they can send you the needed Recovery CD.

The borrowing solution has the advantage of being less expensive ($0.00), but it will make you sweat a bit.  First you have to know how to install XP.  It's not that hard and there are good tutorials you can follow.  Then, eMachines is not known for posting a lot of drivers on their support site, so if your eMachines has components that need special drivers you may pull your hair out looking for them on the Net.  Then once installed, you have to do a Telephone Activation.

Monday, April 30, 2007 2:26 PM