Defragged, now how do I back up my data? RRS feed

• Question

• Before I knew that you were not supposed to defrag Windows Home Server 2010, I did it.  Now every time I try to back up my server. I get messages something like: unable to find or something like that. 

I then tried copying all my data over to another computer, which worked fine.  I deleted all my data from my home server, and then put all my data back on the server.  It is still giving me failure messages.  How do I get around this problem?

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:22 PM not a development question (From:Windows Home Server & Windows Home Server "Vail" Add-Ins and Developer Information)
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:57 AM

All replies

• I presume you have V1, as Windows Home Server 2011 shouldn't have any problem with the use of a defragmenting utility.

I don't really know what defragging may have done to your server, though I do know that Microsoft has warned for years that it can cause problems with Drive Extender. Probably, you will wind up "getting around" your issue by reinstalling Windows Home Server. Since you've copied your data elsewhere, I would opt for a new installation rather than trying a recovery and hoping that that will correct whatever's wrong. A new installation will simply wipe everything.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:27 PM