none
Uninstall for WGA. Please provide technical assistance. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Phil,

Now that we have installed WGA and got a good glimpse of what it can do (which highly resembles a Trojan Horse), can you please provide your users with some detailed instructions as to how we can uninstall it to prevent this from re-occuring? I will gladly use a Virtual Machine to download any MS apps which require going through WGA to get the download link.

Thanks.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 12:34 AM

Answers

• The WGA issue was fixed before noon (PST) on Saturday, 25 Aug 2007.  The WGA Team went to work as soon as the problem became known, shelved their Saturday day-off plans, troubleshooted and solved the issue. 

Sunday, August 26, 2007 6:48 PM
  •  Turge wrote:

No disrespect, but I would like someone from Microsoft to answer the question. I would like to know Microsoft's official response on whether or not they can help me restore my system to the point it was before I installed WGA in order to be able to access a download link on their site. One way or another, it's coming off my system.

As "WGA" is built into the Vista platform as "Software Protection Platform" (SPP) it is not removable.

You can easily "remove" the ActiveX control "LegitCheckControl.dll" in your windows/system32 directory if you wish though.

-phil

Monday, August 27, 2007 6:52 PM

All replies

• Once installed, the WGA file cannot be uninstalled.  Please read the following so that you become better informed and not fall for all the WGA misinformation posted on the world wide web.

WGA Frequently Asked Questions: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/faq.aspx

Sunday, August 26, 2007 2:20 PM
  •  Carey Frisch wrote:

Once installed, the WGA file cannot be uninstalled.  Please read the following so that you become better informed and not fall for all the WGA misinformation posted on the world wide web.

WGA Frequently Asked Questions: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/faq.aspx

I read the website and I don't see any reason there would be a check more then when you first activate. I installed vista, saw that my copy was genuine, why does it need to keep checking?

Sunday, August 26, 2007 3:21 PM
  • WGA performs a periodic check to make sure your Widows operating system license is being used according to the EULA.  This means that it checks to see if the license is being used on just one computer and that no one stole the license and is using it unauthorized on a different computer.  It also helps in fighting software piracy as demonstrated here:

Biggest counterfeit software bust... ever: http://blogs.msdn.com/wga/archive/2007/07/24/biggest-counterfeit-software-bust-ever.aspx

Sunday, August 26, 2007 3:30 PM
  • I ended up putting a new hard drive in my computer and spending over a day re installing everything. I run my business on this system,you can imagine how it affected me. I dare not even think about validating until Tuesday, as WGA team only work Mon-Fri & not on bank holidays. I have got Ubunto on a DVD tried it, nice, but will not run my accounting package, and the accounts export to word & excell, not really an option for me. Ideal system for home user, you don't even have to buy MS ofice! Vista is a great os when it works. I was evaluating server 2008. This has convinced me. A red hat server is next.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 5:25 PM
  • The WGA issue was fixed before noon (PST) on Saturday, 25 Aug 2007.  The WGA Team went to work as soon as the problem became known, shelved their Saturday day-off plans, troubleshooted and solved the issue. 

Sunday, August 26, 2007 6:48 PM
  •  Carey Frisch wrote:

Once installed, the WGA file cannot be uninstalled.  Please read the following so that you become better informed and not fall for all the WGA misinformation posted on the world wide web.

Hmm.. Does deleting %SystemRoot%\Downloaded Program Files\legitcheckcontrol.inf and %SystemRoot%\System32\legitcheckcontrol.dll not take care of the ActiveX part?

Sunday, August 26, 2007 10:54 PM
  • WGA files include tamper detection technology enabled by the Software Protection Platform in Windows Vista.  When evidence of system tampering is detected, the system will go into a non-genuine or tampered state depending on the tamper. Also, depending on the severity of tampering, the remedies for it can range from a simple reboot all the way to a complete re-install.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 11:03 PM
  •  

No disrespect, but I would like someone from Microsoft to answer the question. I would like to know Microsoft's official response on whether or not they can help me restore my system to the point it was before I installed WGA in order to be able to access a download link on their site. One way or another, it's coming off my system.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 11:10 PM
  • If you are running Windows Vista, WGA is already installed via system integration and cannot be removed.  If you downloaded an update to WGA, it updates the original WGA files already installed.

If you are running Windows XP, then you would have to perform a "clean install" which includes a reformat of the hard drive.  Then, in order not to have the WGA files installed, you would have to set your Windows Update to Automatic and never try to directly visit the Windows Update web site to obtain updates.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 11:23 PM
  •  Carey Frisch wrote:
    The WGA issue was fixed before noon (PST) on Saturday, 25 Aug 2007.  The WGA Team went to work as soon as the problem became known, shelved their Saturday day-off plans, troubleshooted and solved the issue. 

Not for nothing but that is their job. I ruined my sat plans by having to reformat my HDD. Someone should have been monitoring the system. How many hundreds if not thousands who did not come here are having issues still? Maybe this should have gotten out to the news networks. I am a genuine customer. Darn tootin! Piracy is wrong and so was Microsoft by not telling or posting the news on their main website. Nice to be a monopoly,

Monday, August 27, 2007 1:10 AM
  •  Turge wrote:

As "WGA" is built into the Vista platform as "Software Protection Platform" (SPP) it is not removable.

You can easily "remove" the ActiveX control "LegitCheckControl.dll" in your windows/system32 directory if you wish though.

-phil

Monday, August 27, 2007 6:52 PM