Duplicate Accounts - I'm up to #23 now RRS feed

• Question

• Longtime user. I know, it's going away, and I'm trying to get used to Quicken, but it's tough going and in the mean time I'm running dual systems.

Ok, I changed computers, and brought Money Plus Deluxe over to the new one. Everything went fine, but ONE account spits out multiple duplicates every time I update. Two or three at at time; I'm up to #23 now. The goofy thing is that the account does NOT have online services; it's not even listed as an available bank (TCF Bank).  So I can't merge the accounts (as I understand it, you can only merge multiples when one or more are online and the rest aren't)  Deleting and/or closing the accounts don't help.  Still get more the next time I update. And in fact since the moneybb background update is running, I  see new ones whenever I open the program. 

How do I swat these flies?

Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:55 PM

All replies

• First try going to Money Central and checking your accounts there. See if for some reason there are multiples listed. If so delete them. Then check the account info on TCF and delete the account number. Restart and try updating again. If you can't update that account automatically I am not sure why you keep getting duplicates.
    Cindy
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:37 PM
  • You can make your changes by making a copy of the Money file with a different name. You can change the settings of one, and not the other for now. You can open each, and see which one most matches your needs.

I would first turn off background banking. That should slow the event somewhat. Turn off Tools->Settings->ReceiveAccountUpdatesFromMsnMoneyMyAccounts

If it is one account that keeps recreating, consider marking the account closed rather than deleting it.

You might also want to consider removing your LiveID. Then at File-PasswordManager you can choose to remove your
    LiveID.  To remove or add a conventional password, also see
    File->PasswordManager. Eventually you will probably want to remove the LiveID anyway.  I suggest you download the Sunset install file now in case you want to reinstall Money next year or thereafter. http://www.microsoft.com/money/faq.mspx

Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:42 PM
  • I have tried marking it closed.  I have over twenty accounts in here, between my business and my personal, I sure don't want to do anything that's going to screw up the others.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 11:09 AM
  • Make sure you have removed your LiveID. That should end your account creation problem. Everybody should remove the LiveID (Passport) before the end of January to make sure that there are no surprise symptoms that occur when the servers go away.

Monday, October 18, 2010 7:47 PM
  • Nothing has worked. It sounds like it's just permanently borked, and I can't even use it until January.

Thanks  for your assistance.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:07 AM
  • I suggested you remove your LiveID. Are you implying that you did that?
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:36 PM