WHS: What about Anti Virus ? RRS feed

• Question

•  

WHS has an installed FireWall. But what about AntiVirus software ? WinXP - for example - always reminds me to install AntiVirus software (if not available), but WHS does not. Why ?

If I should use separate AntiVirus software: which one is recommended (and compatbile) ?

Thanks.

Klaus

Thursday, October 25, 2007 5:04 PM

Answers

• Personally you should always use antivirus wherever you have a machine that is either connected to the Internet or has files on!

You really should look for an AV product that supports WHS - Avast are running one in beta right now, and I am sure others will follow soon.

Andrew

Thursday, October 25, 2007 5:09 PM
  • As Andrew says, you should install some form of anti-virus, however, don't install just anything, you really do need a version that is specifically suited for WHS. A few people have tried some of the more popular non-specific versions and have found problems.

Colin

Thursday, October 25, 2007 5:16 PM

All replies

• Personally you should always use antivirus wherever you have a machine that is either connected to the Internet or has files on!

You really should look for an AV product that supports WHS - Avast are running one in beta right now, and I am sure others will follow soon.

Andrew

Thursday, October 25, 2007 5:09 PM
  • As Andrew says, you should install some form of anti-virus, however, don't install just anything, you really do need a version that is specifically suited for WHS. A few people have tried some of the more popular non-specific versions and have found problems.

Colin

Thursday, October 25, 2007 5:16 PM
  • I just installed the Avast for WHS beta last night and am impressed with the WHS integration.
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:36 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

As Andrew says, you should install some form of anti-virus, however, don't install just anything, you really do need a version that is specifically suited for WHS. A few people have tried some of the more popular non-specific versions and have found problems.

Colin

I have used Trend Micro(TM) Client Server Messaging Security for SMB v3.6 without any problems.
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:45 PM
  • Guys,

all im going to say is be careful what av software you install.

I think it was after trying av software on whs that i got my data corrouption issue.

I had tried Nortons Corp edition, this was designed for 2k server and such, but guessing it didnt really like the way home server works with files as im sure it was this that caused my first data corrouption in beta.

Then i tried avast beta 1,  this was on oem, again i had data corrouption issues.

Has anyone had any issues using beta 2 of avast?

Friday, October 26, 2007 7:35 AM
  •  

Hi Wes

So far I havent had any issues with beta 2 ov avast (hopefully not famous last words)!

You are 100% correct though, you should only use a WHS aware av product to be sure it works correctly - and they are coming.

Andrew

Friday, October 26, 2007 7:41 AM
  • Cheers for that Andrew,

Im going to be re-installing whs onto my server again over the weekend, its currently running xp pro 64bit since i was miffed at the last data corrouption.

Will try it with some test data again and avast beta 2.

Thanks

Friday, October 26, 2007 7:44 AM
  • Im also running the WHS Diskeeper trial on the WHS as well and again, so far, no problems :-)

Andrew

Friday, October 26, 2007 7:50 AM
  • Cool,

will also looking into trying that out.

At the moment as i said above im using xp pro 64bit,  on that i have sat Spybot, runs every night,

Perfectdisk8 again runs every night, along with avast home user.  That keeps everything in good shape and media files stream with no issues.   (Plenty of horse power under the hood being a quad core xeon 3210 lol)  Also these are set to run at 2am onwards. So no impact on daily use.

Karens File replicator.  This is an excellent app as i have a 500gb nas drive which is sat on the network for backups.  The karens replicator app is set to run every monday and tuesday mornings copying over any changes and additional files i may have made to the drives during the week.  Have yet to try this on the WHS glad i didnt last time around lol as it would have just copied over the gash data that was left after playing with antivirus apps lol.

Friday, October 26, 2007 7:59 AM
  • There is a beta AV out now specifically designed for WHS: Avast AV-Read our Phil's review here

Before Avast, I tested 6 different AV's that were Server 2003 certified, but not WHS certified. Most would install fine and seem ok for a day or so....then the problems would pop up.

Only one worked on WHS, AVG AV Network Edition 7.5, and did not cause any problems.  Since it worked and there was nothing out yet specifically for WHS, and I was using uTorrent on WHS,,,,, I purchased the 2 year/2pc license. Three months later is works very well on RC1 and OEM WHS.
    CHeck the review on Phil's Blog here: and how I set up the scheduled scans and updates.....  Just another option that does actually work!

Hope this helps...

Friday, October 26, 2007 11:59 AM
  • I have Symantec Anti-Virus (10.2) install on my server and it works fine.  I'm looking at this one from Avast and I'm thinking about switching over.  I love how it works with WHS and not as a seperate app.  Thanks for the info Guys.

Friday, October 26, 2007 2:11 PM
  •  JeyNyce wrote:
    I have Symantec Anti-Virus (10.2) install on my server and it works fine.  I'm looking at this one from Avast and I'm thinking about switching over.  I love how it works with WHS and not as a seperate app.  Thanks for the info Guys.

Is that symantec 10.2 corp edition?

If so thats what helped kill my data lol.

Friday, October 26, 2007 2:13 PM
  •  

It is.......GLUP!
    Friday, October 26, 2007 2:28 PM
  • Seriously, if it isnt WHS aware, enabled, or designed for, you should really steer clear for now!

A lot of AV products dont understand the way drive extender works so until they release something there is always a risk!

Andrew

Friday, October 26, 2007 2:31 PM
  • Even AVG have said they intend releasing a WHS specific version. They suggested running their Server version on WHS, but when I asked if they could guarantee it wouldn't cause data corruption or interfere with DE etc in any way, they said they couldn't do that.

Colin

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:28 PM
  • Symantec Corp 10.2 does work for some and others not. It crashed my WHS and I had to reformat.

Andrew is reasonably correct with his advice. Especially since there is now a WHS designed AV with Avast.  Had Avast been available 6 months ago when all of us Beta testers needed it...I would have used it. Heck, there was a big debate this summer if WHS users even needed an AV! Wow.

Like I said, I tested 6 AV's (see earlier post). One crased WHS and the others locked portions of its functionality. Usually accessing shared folders from a client PC. Which is to be expected since they were Server 2003 compliant and not WHS compliant.But it was a big *** shoot early this summer.

But, if you want an AV option that DOES work and is available for a reasonable fee.... the AVG 7.5 Network Edition will do a good job. Many of us have tested it and there has been no issues so far over the past 3 months.  This argument is mostly mute since Avast is now in Beta 3.

The most important thing??? Install an AV if you are downloading files to WHS directly.

Good luck

Friday, October 26, 2007 10:36 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

Even AVG have said they intend releasing a WHS specific version. They suggested running their Server version on WHS, but when I asked if they could guarantee it wouldn't cause data corruption or interfere with DE etc in any way, they said they couldn't do that.

Colin

Asking for a "guarantee" on something that was not initially designed for WHS .....well, you can't blame them for not doing so. 
    The server and network edition are one in the same....I believe.  I and many others have been using the Network Edition for 3 months.  But with with this Avast and it's console intergration..... seems pretty cool.  Honestly, if I'd not bought the AVG 3 months ago.....I'd be on the Avast download page NOW...
    Friday, October 26, 2007 10:41 PM
  • I was using the latest McAfee Server Edition but, even though it appeared to be working, made everything go very very slowly on the server. Accessing files from another compuer on the network was a 5 minute wait.

I had been trying to work this problem out for ages, then decided to try Avast WHS Edition, because I came to the conclusion it was either that or my network or server were not good enough specs.

Wow. My server is now super fast

Accessing files on it is now like using a local machine. And streaming video is much faster. And the whole server is faster overall.

I am so glad I got rid of McAfee. I was starting to blame the problem on WHS.

I don't think McAfee understood the WHS disk structure.

All I can say is use something that is designed for WHS and nothing else.
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 9:12 PM
  •  

Hello - based on your suggestion I tried Avast (current beta release).

I'm not really sure if it has to do with Avast ...  but after that I got a serious problem:

suddenly WHS shut down - and after rebooting repeatingly there was an error message sounding like 'damaged known DLL - please reboot'  - so rebooting was infinite ... Even the boot options 'load last working installation' or 'secure mode' did no longer work:

I HAD TO RE-INSTALL THE COMPLETE WHS SYSTEM !!!

Another issue:

before installing Avast I checked several other Anti Virus softwares which I used with WinXP. All I checked simply didn't work with WHS - the installation was rejected ('cannot install on server software ...'). Software providers are indeed offering server versions of anti virus software. However: in most cases the price for a basic Anti Virus Server package which will run on WHS will cost about 400 or 500 Dollars !!! - much more than the WHS software itself. This makes no sense !

About Avast there was no price indication - if the (later non beta) software will really work I will hope that the price will be adjusted to the cost of WHS ...

Klaus

Saturday, October 27, 2007 9:36 PM
  • The way Avast works you have to buy licenses for the software.  For example I setup a quote for 1 server and 6 "users" and the total came to a little over $600, then they suggested that it would be cheaper to get a 10 user & 1 server for about $450.  Still it's expensive as the devil.
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 9:40 PM
  • Klaus

The server AV software you are referring to as costing 400 or 500 dollars will be for full flown server AV software, and not WHS specific AV software. Currently there are no WHS specific or supported AV solutions.

If AV providers expect home users to put AV on their HOME servers the price will need to be similar to that of desktop solutions.

Andrew

Saturday, October 27, 2007 9:51 PM
  • In terms of the costs for Avast, I found this on the We Got Served WHS blog:

"Pricing will be set at an introductory $39.95 for the first six months of release, following which it will rise to $50."

So not too bad then :-)

Andrew

Saturday, October 27, 2007 9:57 PM
  • Any thoughts on Microsoft adding a one care kit for WHS and workstations.
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 9:57 PM
  • Jake,

Yes, your lag experience is exactly what many of us experienced when using most AV products out there.  That's why I tested so many to find one that worked with no network or server slow downs..

I'm concerned that another poster stated that the Avast product for WHS will cost $400!  If that is true when the Beta is over, that is too much money! 

The AVG Network Edition is $89 for two pc's for 2 years. Works on Server 2003, XP and Vista. So put one on WHS and the other to a client pc. They even have a 30 day trial down load to test it with. Check it out if this Avast for WHS is going to be that expensive......
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 9:59 PM
  •  JeyNyce wrote:
    Any thoughts on Microsoft adding a one care kit for WHS and workstations.

I thought I read here that there are no plans for that......hmmm. Search the forums. I thought too that Ken Warren made a post on that topic.
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 10:01 PM

• Guys, throughout beta testing, the Avast people have been consistent in their advice; Avast for WHS will be about the same price per annual subscription as Avast Professional (Avast Home, for the client, is free for home use) - the same reply I imagine was given to 'We Got Served'. I posted to this effect on this forum more than a week ago
    http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2279846&SiteID=50

I would have thought that's not an inappropriate price.

In the meantime, as noted elsewhere, beta 3 is now released. I've installed this morning and the obvious, known problems seem to have been fixed - so far (but do remember won't you, this is beta testing; it ain't gold yet, although they think they're getting close).

Bill

Sunday, October 28, 2007 1:08 AM
  • Klaus,

I am sorry you had problems insalling Avast. I had no problems at all installing the Beta 3 version of the WHS edition.

I thought it was going to be about $40 which I considered OK, if it is going to be more than that, I don't know what I will do?

I'm not using Avast on the clients at the moment because I have licences for NOD 32 for the other computers. However they run out quite soon.

I have read in PC magazine reviews that Avast is no the most effective at picking up viruses. But then it is free, so I wonder...?

I like the idea of being able to remotely manage them.
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 10:55 AM
  • Jake

As I posted last night:

"Pricing will be set at an introductory $39.95 for the first six months of release, following which it will rise to $50."

Avast dont currently list the WHS version on their website to buy as its still in beta so I can only guess that the quote Klaus got was for a full blown "enterprise" server licence.

Andrew

Sunday, October 28, 2007 11:28 AM