WSUS on WHS: Can it manage more than 10 computers? RRS feed

• Question

• I have two WHSs at work primarily to backup clients. Nine on WHS1 and six on WHS2. WSUS is currently being handled by SBS 2003. Since I have moved nearly all services in my office onto the cloud (compliments of Azure and Microsoft Online Services Business Productivity Online Suite,) I am exploring the idea of phasing out SBS and active directory.

In theory could a single WHS running WSUS manage 15 Windows computers? The Windows computers in question would not be using WHS for any other purposes, so they would not have accounts on the WHS. The WHS w/WSUS would be simply pushing updates to the clients and doing no "WHS" activities.

I would like to avoid having 2 WSUS servers on premises if licensing/access issues get in the way.

Then again, I might just install Windows 2008 Standard, keep AD and use it for WSUS. Depends which is a smarter choice.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Will
    • Edited by Will J Smith Saturday, September 5, 2009 5:11 PM typos
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 5:09 PM

Answers

• I have two WHSs at work primarily to backup clients. Nine on WHS1 and six on WHS2. WSUS is currently being handled by SBS 2003. Since I have moved nearly all services in my office onto the cloud (compliments of Azure and Microsoft Online Services Business Productivity Online Suite,) I am exploring the idea of phasing out SBS and active directory.

In theory could a single WHS running WSUS manage 15 Windows computers? The Windows computers in question would not be using WHS for any other purposes, so they would not have accounts on the WHS. The WHS w/WSUS would be simply pushing updates to the clients and doing no "WHS" activities.

I would like to avoid having 2 WSUS servers on premises if licensing/access issues get in the way.

Then again, I might just install Windows 2008 Standard, keep AD and use it for WSUS. Depends which is a smarter choice.

Thanks,

Will

Obviously installing WSUS on WHS is unsupported (but I suspect you knew that already :)  ).  Also, it probably violates the EULA.

Having said that, I don't see why it wouldn't work because you're not using any portion of WHS to download/hand out updates to your clients.  You are, in essence, using Small Business Server 2003 (the underlying OS) to do it, so I believe if there are any restrictions, it will be whatever restrictions are placed on SBS2003.
    • Marked as answer by Will J Smith Sunday, September 6, 2009 3:06 AM
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 5:17 PM
  • WSUS has no problems to support more than 10 computers also if installed on WHS.
    Also I don't think that installing WSUS violates the EULA - it uses only Windows Server 2003 functions, which are already enabled, as it is IIS. It also brings its own Windows Internal Database. Of course, all interpreting of EULAs is something for lawyers finally, since they are rarely written for humans. ;-)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 8:22 PM

All replies

Thanks,

Will

Obviously installing WSUS on WHS is unsupported (but I suspect you knew that already :)  ).  Also, it probably violates the EULA.

Having said that, I don't see why it wouldn't work because you're not using any portion of WHS to download/hand out updates to your clients.  You are, in essence, using Small Business Server 2003 (the underlying OS) to do it, so I believe if there are any restrictions, it will be whatever restrictions are placed on SBS2003.
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 5:17 PM
  • WSUS has no problems to support more than 10 computers also if installed on WHS.
    Also I don't think that installing WSUS violates the EULA - it uses only Windows Server 2003 functions, which are already enabled, as it is IIS. It also brings its own Windows Internal Database. Of course, all interpreting of EULAs is something for lawyers finally, since they are rarely written for humans. ;-)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 8:22 PM
  • Thanks for the great responses.

Perhaps one day some enterprising person will develop an add-in that will manage WSUS.
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 3:19 AM