After Zlob Trojan - Windows XP comes up invalid RRS feed

• Question

• I got slammed by the zlob trojan looking for automotive repair information.  Got rid of it.  Now Windows is showing "Invalid" with the little blue star in the systray...  "Unable to complete genuine windows validation."  Been thru the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798 KB article it recommends, but no joy...

Now what do I do?  I use this computer for development and need to be able to download.  I have been using this computer for nearly a year...  now this...

What do you recommend??

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine   <---  this is very interesting...
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-W8TK7-XJV8F-6R6WT
    Windows Product Key Hash: E/oUbkIPQTBols2EbeuFR7gonAY=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-0328143-23989
    Windows Product ID Type: 0
    Windows License Type: Unknown
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {1A9F484D-F68E-4F7A-AF51-FCD5A7B01818}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft   < - this too is interesting....
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-85-80004005
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 5
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.7
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-153-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_77F760FE-153-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-85-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{1A9F484D-F68E-4F7A-AF51-FCD5A7B01818}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-6R6WT</PKey><PID>55274-640-0328143-23989</PID><PIDType>0</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1708537768-606747145-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS M2NPV-VM ACPI BIOS Revision 0801</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070313000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>B12E3BCF0184C068</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Mountain Standard Time(GMT-07:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>1</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>AAC52D69CBDDD00</Val><Hash>n5J5wrBuenP9CEv6RnNNuy6QpQs=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0426207-57903</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Friday, June 13, 2008 8:29 PM

Answers

• Johny,

Appears you really got slimmed in a major way Sad. I am sorry to hear what has happened and trust me a similar situation has happed to me as well.  Here is some information I found @ http://www.trojan-zlob-removal.com.removal-instructions.com/removetrojan.zlob.html.  This is not official Microsoft information and not endorsed in any fashion. 

Whenever anything like this happens please use your favorite search engine "if you have another uninfected computer" for any information whatsoever about the virus. Also Carey provided great information for a possible resolve. Microsoft's One Care solution is great! Please ensure that you visit Windows Updates and Microsoft Office Updates "if you own" and run all the security updates VERY REGULARLY. Next visit http://www.microsoft.com and locate windows defender. Download and install this program as it will help prevent possible maleware from talking a foothold within your system. 

Please visit Microsoft Security Central @ http://www.microsoft.com/security/default.mspx and take the time and research all of the various links. This my prevent future problems. Bottom line is reformat your computer. You will spend more time attempting to purge all of the problems this particular virus has planted as well as you will have a better peace of mind. Should you have critical data that you definetly need to keep then it would be best to isolate it and run virus and anti-maleware scans a number of times prior re-applying to a clean system.

Hope this has provided you with additional information.

Take care

Stephen Holm

Forum Volunteer

Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:05 AM

All replies

• Johny_Extreme,

The diagnostic report indicates that your Windows XP Professional is genuine.

However, if you are still receiving validation errors, try running the tool for checking the settings first and then

re-validate.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

Please repost any error messages or detailed messages if you are still seeing validation issues.

Lori MS

Friday, June 13, 2008 8:57 PM
  •  

Microsoft Genuine Advantage – Diagnostic Site

What is the purpose of this site?

These diagnostic pages will help you ensure that your Internet Explorer (6.0 or later) settings are configured properly to see images, run scripts, and allow ActiveX controls to download and run.

You will be walked through the troubleshooting process step by step. If your configuration settings are not correct, you will be provided with suggestions to resolve the problem. If your problem persists, you will be provided with information about where you can obtain additional assistance.

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Results

Passed Active scripting allowed
    Passed Display images enabled
    Passed Computer time and date correct
    Passed Cookies enabled
    Passed ActiveX enabled
    Passed Windows validation ActiveX loaded
    Passed Office validation ActiveX loaded
    Passed Validation Self-help ActiveX loaded
    Passed Validation Self-help: Data.dat Corruption check
    Passed Validation Self-help: Cryptography check
    Passed Validation Self-help: Product Activation check
    Your computer is properly configured to run the Microsoft validation process. Click either Validate Windows or Validate Office to use the Microsoft validation process.
    Do you need more help?  Find help and support options.

Validation Incomplete 
    Validation Incomplete

This copy of Windows did not pass genuine validation because the validation process could not be completed.

There are several possible causes:

• Your system level security settings prevented validation from running.
    • Your user account may not have the correct permissions necessary to run validation.
    • Your system settings have been modified in one of the following ways:
      • Security software may have been installed that inadvertently altered your Windows product ID.
      • The validation controls you used were downloaded from a site other than the Microsoft site.
    • You chose to run the validation controls in an alternate compatibility mode.

Option 1: Follow steps in Microsoft Knowledge Base article and run validation again - did this

Most customers who receive this error are able to resolve the problem by following the resolution steps found in Microsoft Knowledge Base article # 822798 and then Microsoft Knowledge Base article # 822798 and then running the validation again.

Option 2: Install the latest Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications - did this too...

Now what?

Friday, June 13, 2008 9:06 PM
  •  

Thanks for your help, Lori...
    Friday, June 13, 2008 9:08 PM
  • Johny_Extreme,

Please follow the below steps manually for a resolve. If this doesn’t work please touch back with the forum again.

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

At the command prompt, type "regsvr32 softpub.dll", and then press ENTER.

Click OK when you receive the message that DllRegisterServer in Softpub.dll succeeded.

Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll, Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll. Remember to put regsvr32 in front of all the .dll's in mention. ("regsvr32 wintrust.dll")

"regsvr32 wintrust.dll"

"regsvr32 Initpki.dll"

"regsvr32 Dssenh.dll"

"regsvr32 Rsaenh.dll"

"regsvr32 Gpkcsp.dll"

"regsvr32 Sccbase.dll"

"regsvr32 Slbcsp.dll"

"regsvr32 Mssip32.dll"

"regsvr32 Cryptdlg.dll"

5) After all the above files have been re-registered, type Exit at the command prompt to close it and return to Windows.

6) Restart Windows and try to authenticate Windows again.

Lori MS

Friday, June 13, 2008 10:41 PM
  •  

I have re registered the dlls as you have requested and restarted and sorry, no luck.

The error code at the bottom of the validation incomplete page is 0x80080205. 

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916247 ...

Error message
    0x80080205
    Insufficient Privileges
    Cause
    You must use administrative credentials to continue with validation.

Resolution
    1. Reactivate Windows XP by using administrative credentials.
    2. Validate Windows XP by using

The only problem is I am an administrator both on the domain and on this machine.  I have signed in using the built-in Administrator username and still no luck.

any more ideas??

Thanks for your help!

Friday, June 13, 2008 11:04 PM
  • I tried to re install the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications program and got this error message...

"Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying.  There is no need to install this update."

Although, the Genuine Advantage website says:

Quick Details
    File Name: WindowsXP-KB905474-ENU-x86-Standalone.exe
    Version: 1.7.0018.7
    Date Published: 12/14/2007
    Language: English
    Download Size: 1.3 MB
    Estimated Download Time:
     4 min 

Overview

This is the most current release of Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications. We encourage you to upgrade to this version. This release includes enhanced features that reflect ongoing input from customers, as well as Microsoft’s continually improving anti-piracy technology.

hmmm....

can't reinstall it and can't remove it because it is not in the list of programs to uninstall.

but it looks fishy...

Friday, June 13, 2008 11:21 PM
  • Johny_Extreme,

Try these steps to see if this will get you through validation issue:

Resolution Steps for Manual ActiveX Installation WGA

1.      Click the Start button, then click “Run”

2.      Type in “iexplore http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=39204” then click ‘OK’. You will be prompted to download “LegitCheckControl.cab”.

3.      Choose Open. Once this completes, a window will open showing two files, LegitCheckControl.dll and LegitCheckControl.inf. Leave this window open for now.

4.      Click the Start button, then click “Run”

5.      Type in “system32”, then click ‘OK’. (If you are running Windows XP, you may need to click “show files” to allow access to this system directory.)

6.      Drag the LegitCheckControl.dll file from the window that was open into the system32 directory. If you are prompted to overwrite a file, choose ‘Yes’ to overwrite any existing file. (If you are running Vista, you may be prompted to provide administrator permission to complete the action. If so, press “Continue” and allow it.)

7.      Click the Start button, then click “Run”

8.      Type “regsvr32 LegitCheckControl.dll”, and then click ‘OK’.

9.      You should see a dialog saying “DllRegisterServer in LegitCheckControl.dll succeeded.”

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully?

I hope this helps.  You may also want to visit the Windows XP Newgroups/forums for non-genuine issues as it may be

due to something that is blocking the Windows Genuine Advantage process from following through.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

Lori MS

Thank you,

Lori MS
    Friday, June 13, 2008 11:22 PM
  •  

OK.

I downloaded the LegitCheckControl.dll and registered it and restarted the computer.  I went to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine and clicked validate windows and same failure with error code

0x80080205.  Why is this code being generated?

I clicked the validate office button just for kicks and it validates office no problem!

I found the windows directory shared and removed the share and share name  $Admin.  probably from the trojan.

I added domain adminstrator to the windows directory security tab group list.

Still no joy...

Still need some help here...

Thanks
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 12:12 AM
  • This issue can be caused by corrupted data file or incorrect settings.

1. Log on to the computer using an Administrator user account.

2. Click "Start", and click "My Computer".

3. On the "Tools" menu, click "Folder Options".

4. Click the "View" tab.

5. Under "Hidden files and folders", check on "Show hidden files and folders".

6. Click to clear the "Hide extensions for known file types" check box, and then click "OK".

7. We will find the file named "data.dat" under the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows Genuine Advantage\data

8. Right-click the "data.dat" file, and click "Properties".

9. Click the "Security" tab.

Note: If the "Security" tab cannot be viewed, please refer to the information after Step 12.

10. Click "Advanced".

11. In the "Name" tab, please check if "Everyone" is listed. If so, please click the "Exit" button, and check on "Full Control". If "Everyone" is not listed, please click the "Add" button, enter the name "Everyone" (without the quotation marks), press "enter "from the keyboard, choose "Full Control" in the pop-up window, and click "OK".

12. Please click "OK" to accept the changes.

Please also check the information below regarding viewing of the Security Tab.

---------------------

1. Click "Start", and click "My Computer".

2. On the "Tools" menu, click "Folder Options".

3. In the "View" tab, uncheck the option "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" at the bottom of the list.

4. Click "OK".

Saturday, June 14, 2008 4:28 AM
  •  

Thanks, I will try it in the morning.
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 4:45 AM
  • Thanks for the help but adding 'Everyone' to the list of authorized users did not help.

The failure that is reported is failure code 0x80080205 which seems to indicate a permissions problem thought.

The Windows Genuine Advantage check seems to be invalid-  not my copy of windows xp pro (which has been running for a year now).

Sunday, June 15, 2008 11:49 PM
  • Once your PC is infected with a computer virus or worm, your
    computer becomes compromised and nothing less than a reinstallation
    of the operating system is going to work properly.  Yes, you
    can scan and eliminate the initial virus, but you generally
    cannot undo the damage caused by the virus to the system
    files.  You'll need to reformat your hard drive and then
    reinstall your Windows operating system.

Cleaning a Compromised System
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx

After restoring your system, consider installing a good
    antivirus program, such as Windows OneCare.  You can
    try it absolutely FREE for 90 days.
    http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm

Monday, June 16, 2008 12:45 AM
  •  

Ok I am clean.  I ran registry cleaner as well.    I cannot see my C drive nor can I validate my Windows XP or office.  Tired of playing with this....  Over the weekend plan on reinstalling Windows and office.  Back up of course but anything else I should do???   Step by step - I have never done this before.   And protected for next time.   Learn the hard way.

Thanks,

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:20 AM
  • Johny_Extreme,

As Carey suggested, a reinstallation of Windows XP may be needed if remediation of the virus is not complete and the computer still has major issues including the validation issues as well.

It is not atypical to do a reinstallation in cases such as this and you will most likely need to call Microsoft to have Windows XP activated.

If the automated telephone activation is not accepted, you will be offered the option to speak with a live activation representative.  Choose that option.  The rep will ask a few questions for the purpose of confirming that you are still using your license for XP in accordance with the EULA.  If this is confirmed, the rep will issue an activation code for you to enter into the Activation Wizard.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Lori MS

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:50 PM
  • Johny,

Appears you really got slimmed in a major way Sad. I am sorry to hear what has happened and trust me a similar situation has happed to me as well.  Here is some information I found @ http://www.trojan-zlob-removal.com.removal-instructions.com/removetrojan.zlob.html.  This is not official Microsoft information and not endorsed in any fashion. 

Whenever anything like this happens please use your favorite search engine "if you have another uninfected computer" for any information whatsoever about the virus. Also Carey provided great information for a possible resolve. Microsoft's One Care solution is great! Please ensure that you visit Windows Updates and Microsoft Office Updates "if you own" and run all the security updates VERY REGULARLY. Next visit http://www.microsoft.com and locate windows defender. Download and install this program as it will help prevent possible maleware from talking a foothold within your system. 

Please visit Microsoft Security Central @ http://www.microsoft.com/security/default.mspx and take the time and research all of the various links. This my prevent future problems. Bottom line is reformat your computer. You will spend more time attempting to purge all of the problems this particular virus has planted as well as you will have a better peace of mind. Should you have critical data that you definetly need to keep then it would be best to isolate it and run virus and anti-maleware scans a number of times prior re-applying to a clean system.

Hope this has provided you with additional information.

Take care

Stephen Holm

Forum Volunteer

Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:05 AM
  •  

I sincerely appreciate all the information.  If there ever is a next time - I will be better prepared.  I at least have my norton ENABLED this time and have purchased additional spyware.   I did run the Microsoft Malicious Software tool but was really ignorant to other options. 

I work in the software field but really have NO experience with reformatting my computer and installing windows.

Thank you!!

Denise

Thursday, June 19, 2008 1:03 PM
  • Denise,

Here is GEEK information which may help you with reformatting a hard drive and re-installation of Windows :-). 

“How to install or upgrade to Windows XP” located @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941/en-us and http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/install.mspx

If your computer is a commercially purchased system verses a customer built system then contact the manufacturer technical support. Here they can provide you with assistance. 

Hopefully this helps.

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Monday, June 23, 2008 6:58 PM
  •  

Microsoft should put out a KB article about this, because everyone who has been infected with the ZLOB Downloader will have this problem -- yet the solution is really simple!

ZLOB changes several registry values to "VIRUS ALERT", among them the time display string, so that your system clock will show the time and "VIRUS ALERT" next to it.  Annoying but harmless - search the registry for this string and you can fix it.

ZLOB also changes the following registry value:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProductId

to the same "VIRUS ALERT" string.  This is all it takes to make WGA fail!

To fix it, you need to locate the original Windows Product ID and change this registry value.  (Note: this is not the CD Key that is on the sticker on the back of the CD).

To determine the correct ProductID, you can download the WGA Diagnostic Tool from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 . Run it and it will display the ProductID of your Windows installation.  Change the ProductId registry value to the ProductID exactly as it is displayed in the WGA Diagnostic Tool -- i.e., include the dashes but don't add any extra spaces, etc.

Voila!

I truly hope MS posts some sort of KB article about this to keep potentially tens of thousands of people from unnecessarily reinstalling XP!

Dimitri Putilin

Saturday, July 5, 2008 2:24 AM
  •  

Awesome - But where do I go to Change the ProductId registry value to the ProductID exactly as it is displayed in the WGA Diagnostic Tool -- i.e., include the dashes but don't add any extra spaces, etc.

Thanks!

Denise

Sunday, July 6, 2008 3:21 PM
  • Hey Denise :-),

Please call our PC Safety line at 1-866-PCSAFETY or (1-866-727-2338).  This phone number is for virus and other security-related support free of charge. It is available 24 hours a day for the U.S. and Canada. Detailed information including selecting various regions for support can be located at: http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx . 

My understanding they will be  able to provide you with assistance. Next try posting here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?query=Zlob+Trojan&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&cat=en-us-ms-winxp&lang=en&cr=US&pt=&catlist=B0DE109D-10E1-4C3C-BCC9-8EB7A22FC6A0&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us in the search line put in Zlob Virus. Maybe you may get some assistance. If not post @ the top level newsgroup Windows XP Expertzone. Hope this will direct you in the right resolution direction :-).

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA and OGA Forum Manager

Monday, July 7, 2008 9:48 PM
  •  

ZLOB also changes the following registry value:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProductId

to the same "VIRUS ALERT" string.  This is all it takes to make WGA fail!

The registry entry for this installation of Windows XP Pro is correct as reported by Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool 1.7.0095.0.

The easy out for Microsoft is just tell us to reinstall all your software and operating system.  This is a multiple day task.  Then you read that the "Best Practice" white paper suggests that you should not move any files from the original system to the newly reinstalled system.  All your work--  gone.  Its all backed up but unuseable because it may be infected...

Windows Genuine Advantage reports that this copy of windows is genuine which of course I know it is because the company bought and paid for it when the bought 4 new systems.  I do not see this as my problem.  We here have done all we are expected to do and can do.  Now it is a Microsoft problem.

Lets see what happens...

Jon Olson

General Manager

Monday, July 7, 2008 11:52 PM
  • Jon,

Thank you for the input. As I have mentioned this does not RELATE to the Windows Genuine Advantage forum as far as physical support. This is why I provide other information for assistance. Also this is not a Microsoft problem. Computer's will become infected no matter what operating system or products end users decide to purchase and/or use should proper anti-malware and antivirus programs not be implemented. In turn it is the responsibilities for individuals and/or organizations to protect their IT assets accordingly. There are other forums abroad which I am sure can address this particular virus as well as other virus's in better detail.  Also it is my understanding this virus has been in the wild for quite sometime so if an Anti-Virus program along with signature file updates were maintained this may not have been a factor. Windows Live OneCare provides a great all-in-one solution for users to protect their IT assets. Hopefully this has cleared up any confusion.  

Thank you and Take care Jon,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 12:19 AM
  •  

Thank you for the input. As I have mentioned this does not RELATE to the Windows Genuine Advantage forum as far as physical support. This is why I provide other information for assistance. Also this is not a Microsoft problem. 

Well,  your Genuine advantage software fails to identify this installation as genuine. Your diagnostic software fails to identify why it fails to identify this installation as genuine. 

Yet this installation is genuine.

I think either your genuine advantage software needs some tweeking or your diagnostic software needs some tweeking.

You tell me which.

Jon Olson

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 12:27 AM
  • Denise all you do is:

Click Start | Run and then type regedit
    Saturday, August 9, 2008 8:56 PM