Changing language on WHS? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello.  I have a Mediasmart Server bought in France which came with the French version of WHS software.  I really hate it.  Is there any way Microsoft will allow me to change it to the English version?  There are two reasons for this.  First, it's pretty condescending to assume that if someone buys software abroad, they can't speak enough english to use a simple product (at least you should have a choice) - so this is a matter of principle and general annoyance.

Two, my computer clients are in English and the interraction is very buggy - so for instance the media aggregator won't work due to language issues - so there is also a practical matter to it.  Updates also come later for the French version (PP1 is a good example of that).

Finally, HP offers no support in France for this product so the only way to have support is to call someone in the US.  It's very difficult to have a conversation with english words (like "save", "remote desktop", "administrator", do this then that) that you then need to translate to your machine so that the recommended actions will work.  It took me forever to figure out that the admin login name was "administrateur" on my french machine.  Where is that documented?

Thanks for your help

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm sorry, but I think you are out of luck. Your contract is with HP,so maybe you will have to persevere with them, but I've seen quite a few posts on the MediaSmart forums and no-one appears to have any luck.

Colin

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm sorry, but I think you are out of luck. Your contract is with HP,so maybe you will have to persevere with them, but I've seen quite a few posts on the MediaSmart forums and no-one appears to have any luck.

Colin

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:08 PM
  • Thanks for your feedback.  I'm afraid you might be right...

Thursday, August 7, 2008 8:00 AM
  • What I would recommend you ask HP for is a set of the disks in English. There should be three disks: one DVD and two CDs. Explain your situation, don't be surprised if you can't get satisfaction form the first person you speak to, and be willing to pay a reasonable amount of money. But you should definitly press them for this, because it's not an unreasonable request, IMO. One thing, though. I don't think you'll get any satisfaction from HP if you're still in France, ony if you're back in the States (or England).
    Friday, August 8, 2008 3:42 AM
  •  

Hi (salut Wink)

I'm agree with you and your point of view, as english patches comes before the other ones too (e.g. PP1).

So I've intalled an english version of WHS even if I'm french ! Also, for my daily works, I just gone with a french version of Vista.

What you perhaps should test is to install an english OEM WHS (a 120 days evaluation one for example), with your HP key... I'm not sure, but the installation should work, but don't know for the activation.

If you don't want to test it on your daily home server, try considering this test in a virtual PC... it works fine for tests.

Friday, August 8, 2008 1:59 PM
  •  sbocquet wrote:
    What you perhaps should test is to install an english OEM WHS (a 120 days evaluation one for example), with your HP key... I'm not sure, but the installation should work, but don't know for the activation.
    The OP will be unable to do this, as he has an HP EX47x unit, not a home-built WHS PC with OEM software already installed. He needs disks from HP.
    Friday, August 8, 2008 3:03 PM
  • What about just exchanging disks with someone french having the same issue? Just pay for shipping each other...

Klode  

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8:17 PM
  • That will work but, umm, you might have some trouble finding HP disks to exchange for. You'll also probably void your warranty, not that I would let that stop you.

Assuming you do succeed, you'll be best off if you use the server recovery DVD to do a factory reset. Back your data up first; this will wipe your entire server. I'm not sure what the results of a server recovery to a different language would be; there would be folders whose names would have changed.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 10:25 PM