Sync Framework for moving files between PDA and server RRS feed

• Question

• I am researching the sync framework for placing files onto a Mobile 5.0 PDA device. The documentation leads me to believe that this is not possible. Is this the case?

Friday, January 18, 2008 2:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Vain,

Unfortunatlely, we have not currently published documentaiton or sample on how to set this up using the Microsoft Sync Framework.  We have in the past demonstrated this functionality which perhaps is where some of the confusion is coming from.

I would ask that you contact me by email directly so I can better understand what you are looking to do and I will see if I can attempt to help you get going.

My email is my FirstName.LastName@microsoft.com

Liam Cavanagh

Friday, January 18, 2008 10:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Vain,

The synchronziation framework can certainly be used for synchronizing files.  In our current CTP of the Sync Framework we do not yet have the core sync runtime available on Windows Mobile which is why I expect you are seeing the documentation indicate that this is not yet possible. 

In reality it is "possible", but it would be more work on your part to re-create the functionality of the core synchronization runtime.  That is ultimately a big advantage of the sync framework which is that if the components are not available on a certain platform as long as you follow the specs you can port it any where you like and support any data source you like.

We are in the process of adding support for Windows Mobile with the synchronization runtime, but I can not yet provide a date for this support.  We will be announcing this support from our sync blog.

Liam

Friday, January 18, 2008 6:10 PM
  • Liam,

Thank you for the timely response. I am still a little confused over the ability to use the sync framework on the mobile device. I have seen a number of examples and articles on the use of MSF and the compact database and assumed that the framework could be used on mobile devices. I have since run across a number of articles indicating that the support for mobile devices is not in the framework at this time.

You indicate that i can use MSF to sync files from a Windows server to a windows mobile device. Is there any documentation, examples or information that you could provide that would shed some light on this area of the framework.

My mapping application schedules work to be performed by field inspectors based on area of coverage. The application generates shape files, dbf files, text files, and a SQL Server compact database for a specific windows mobile device. At the moment we dock the PDA device and use active sync to upload and download the PDA. I am looking to implement a solution that would use the sync framework instead on active sync. I would appreciate any info that you could provide.

Thank you

Friday, January 18, 2008 7:33 PM
  • Hi Vain,

Unfortunatlely, we have not currently published documentaiton or sample on how to set this up using the Microsoft Sync Framework.  We have in the past demonstrated this functionality which perhaps is where some of the confusion is coming from.

I would ask that you contact me by email directly so I can better understand what you are looking to do and I will see if I can attempt to help you get going.

My email is my FirstName.LastName@microsoft.com

Liam Cavanagh

Friday, January 18, 2008 10:40 PM