none
WGA and My Copy of Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• I have a computer that was bought from a computer repair company with a copy of Windows that was pre-installed.  WGA is notifying me that this version is not validated and I do not have a product key located anywhere on the pc.  I've tried contacting this business with my concerns however, conveniently, they are no longer in business.  I've downloaded and run the WGA Diagnostics tool, and this is the information that I received:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-*****-*****-*****
    Windows Product Key Hash: p3JYo49I4HFumf8jBg8no8xdXJY=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-648-8637434-23898
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {B973C3CF-1F84-45A7-9D70-D83E157D9E6F}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2993-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Is there any way to resolve this issue?  Please advise.  Thank you.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:49 PM

Answers

• A "Blocked VLK" is a Volume License Key that is valid, but was licensed solely to a corporation or larger enterprise/business. Blocked VLK's are Product Keys that Microsoft has received consent from the original owner to block usage of. A VL Product Key is non-transferrable to individuals. In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, you'll see a button to click on which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:59 PM
  •   I am sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is with Windows XP

Professional and why it is not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product key used to install the operating system is a

Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VL editions of either an

Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL

editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and versions of MS Office are Upgrade

licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of Windows

XP Pro is an unauthorized installation. In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation of the operating system to

alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your system. As a customer there are options available

to you for a resolution. For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details

or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.
    First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system

and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them

proof for the blocked PID status. Demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid

for. Curious was your computer turned in for repairs/upgrades and was the hard drive reformatted?   In any case, please uninstall

the non-genuine installation to alleviate any complications.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk

because a clean installation or reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting

if you need further assistance.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:59 PM
  • Rudsel,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 11), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, a Volume License for XP is an upgrade-only license and can never be used as the original or base license for XP on a computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

More bad news:  Your Office 2003 Pro installation is showing as Nongenuine (Office status=114 means nongenuine).  If this comes as a surprise to you, please go back to where you purchased the installed copy of Office and let them know that it is a counterfeit copy and that you demand the genuine copy that you paid for, or a refund.  In any case, please uninstall the nongenuine installation of Office 2003 as soon as possible.

Since you do not have a Certificate of Authenticity for Windows anywhere on the computer or that came with the computer, and most likely the same holds true for your Office 2003 Pro, then it's a certainty that neither the Windows nor Office are genuine instalaltions on your computer.

In order to Get Genuine, you should consider participating in both the Windows Genuine Offer, http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0EPKAC and the Office Genuine Offer, http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0ELAAE.

In order to participate in one or both Offers, please follow the Get Genuine prompts shown to you after you attempt to Validate Windows http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=87a4cb0b-9852-444c-a79d-659a88cb24e8 and Validate Office http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=87a4cb0b-9852-444c-a79d-659a88cb24e8.

Please post back should you have any questions.  Good Luck!

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 1:08 AM

All replies

• A "Blocked VLK" is a Volume License Key that is valid, but was licensed solely to a corporation or larger enterprise/business. Blocked VLK's are Product Keys that Microsoft has received consent from the original owner to block usage of. A VL Product Key is non-transferrable to individuals. In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, you'll see a button to click on which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:59 PM
  •   I am sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is with Windows XP

Professional and why it is not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product key used to install the operating system is a

Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VL editions of either an

Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL

editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and versions of MS Office are Upgrade

licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of Windows

XP Pro is an unauthorized installation. In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation of the operating system to

alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your system. As a customer there are options available

to you for a resolution. For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details

or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.
    First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system

and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them

proof for the blocked PID status. Demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid

for. Curious was your computer turned in for repairs/upgrades and was the hard drive reformatted?   In any case, please uninstall

the non-genuine installation to alleviate any complications.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk

because a clean installation or reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting

if you need further assistance.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:59 PM
  • Good evening.

Thank you for replying to my post.  It was a most prompted response and greatly appreciated.  However, it is clear that your answers are not relevant to the first response I received from one of the voluntary forum members who was the first to respond.  As I had indicated in my original post, the system I had purchased came from a computer repair company.  My first pc was no longer in a functioning state, and therefore they had offered to build me a new computer with Windows XP and MS Office pre-installed.  The system was purchased last July and up until now with this new WGA program, I had no problems in receiving automatic updates.  Microsoft itself had never notified me in any way that my copy of Windows was invalid or illegal.  It is not a simple matter for me to go back to that very same company and "demand immediate reimbursement" because as I had also mentioned in my first post, they are no longer in business. 

I have tried the WGA Product Key update tool, however, I am unable to locate that information anywhere on the pc and there is no sticker on the tower itself.  I have a genuine Windows XP disk that came with the system, however, the product key to match it has been replaced.  I called Customer Service and provided all of the serial numbers on the disk itself to prove that it is a genuine microsoft product, however was refused any help because their computers were supposedly being updated and nobody wanted to call me back.  At this time I would like to know how to completely UnInstall the WGA program as it is of no use to me and it is a constant annoyance.  Again, I had no problems with my system until this program was installed. 

I paid a large amount of money to purchase my system and a hefty fee in order to ensure that I received nothing but genuine software, and yet it seems there is no representative who is willing assist in what appears to be the simplest of problems.  It would be greatly appreciated if I can receive a real response from someone, rather than a post that has been copied and pasted.  Thank you.
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 12:46 AM
  • Anonymous_2008,

Your original post of the output of the mgadiag utility left out some important info, for example the partial Product Key that the utility reports, and the dense block of text at the bottom.

Can you please repost the report?  Here's the link if you need it:   http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Also, please provide the following info:

Look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

You wrote that you received a genuine Microsoft CD with your purchase.  If this is a genuine CD, that's a good thing.  Curiously, if you received a nongenuine CD that can be classified by Microsoft as a high quality counterfeit, that's just as good a thing and maybe better!

Please closely examine the CD that came with your purchase.

If it a hologrammed CD that has a large area of green or red silk screening in the upper right, please have a look at this web page http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/windows/quiz_vol.aspx?displaylang=en&acq=4 and then report back to us.

If it is a hologrammed CD that has no colorful silk screening, please have a look at this web page http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/windows/ and under "Select your purchase method" choose one of two choices on the left, and then follow along until you get to your CD, the report back to us.

If it is a hologrammed CD, you can also have a look at the counterfeit samples page by starting here http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=counterfeit and then choosing the Counterfeit Gallery, and then choosing the Windows OS tab then looking at the various levels of counterfeit CDs.

Lastly, let us know these two things:

1.  Is the hologram of the CD embedded within the plastic of the CD, or is it a very thin label affixed to the top surface of the CD?

2.  Pop the CD into a computer and navigate to the setupp.ini file within the \i386 folder.  This is a small file with several lines of text and numbers.  Please post the text on the last line of the file.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 3:17 PM
  • Anonymous,

Please post the information Dan requested. Next we can analyze the information more throughly. As Dan posted you will have options available should the software be high counterfeit. Next option is work this out directly with the location where you purchased it. Print a copy of the diagnostic results and show them the information. Look @ this site http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/. This can help you for reviewing the software which they will install. Should all this not work you may submit a piracy report. The Windows Genuint Advantage (WGA) program is here to help prtect YOU, our valued customer. It important for more people like you to report a piracy case who have become victims to assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices. Thank you.

STephen Holm, MS

Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:42 PM
  • Here is the requested information from the WGA Diagnostic Tool:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    WGA Data-->
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-WRKJB-YKRFQ-XVK98
    Windows Product Key Hash: p3JYo49I4HFumf8jBg8no8xdXJY=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-648-8637434-23898
    ID: {B973C3CF-1F84-45A7-9D70-D83E157D9E6F}(3)

Notifications Data-->
    Version: 1.7.18.5

OGA Data-->
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2993-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{B973C3CF-1F84-45A7-9D70-D83E157D9E6F}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XVK98</PKey><PID>55274-648-8637434-23898</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-725345543-1958367476-2147145749</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>0503   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20051226000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7DBF35F70184204D</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57151</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Sunday, July 22, 2007 12:47 PM
  • I have posted the information I received from the WGA Diagnostic Tool.  As for the CD itself, the hologram is imbedded on the disk itself and there are serial numbers and a stamp stating that it is a Genuine microsoft item.  The number on the disk is as follows: X10-58952. From the Setupp.ini folder, this is the details that were given: [Pid]
    ExtraData=786F687170637175716954806365EF
    Pid=76477000
    Sunday, July 22, 2007 1:05 PM
  • I have a bought a new computer by a store that no longer exist and i don't have a product key located anywhere on the pc.  VLK is notifying me that this version is not validated and i'm a victem of counterfighting
    Sunday, July 22, 2007 1:22 PM
  • Rudsel,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Monday, July 23, 2007 1:49 PM
  • Anonymous_2008,

Thank you for providing the rest of the diag report. Unfortunately windows is still a blocked Volume Licensing Key as I previously posted. You may file a piracy report. We CANNOT determine the "Quality" level of non-Genuine submissions and cannot guarantee such a thing here on the forum. We have a 3rd party registered Cryptography lab evaluate EVERY (really!) submission for the High-Quality Counterfeit replacement program - as they have a pre-determined subset of items they look for.  Please re-post should you have any questions.  Thankyou

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, July 23, 2007 8:04 PM
  • Redsel,

More than likely you are in a similiar situation as the other poster in this thread. Sounds like Windows is a blocked VLK.  Please post the diag results here at your earliest convience. In turn we will analyze the situation and hope to provide a track which you may take. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, July 23, 2007 8:55 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    WGA Data-->
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-MJ43B-MPP2T-8WQ6Y
    Windows Product Key Hash: y3QIX9/jDBEBkyhyTBy5cdgQmqA=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-647-2474164-23492
    ID: {016F69D9-40DC-4171-AB81-6EB06E43A7A1}(3)

Notifications Data-->
    Version: 1.7.18.1

OGA Data-->
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{016F69D9-40DC-4171-AB81-6EB06E43A7A1}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-8WQ6Y</PKey><PID>55274-647-2474164-23492</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1214440339-1326574676-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>7i6GV</Manufacturer><Model>775i65GV</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>P1.90</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20051205000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>0FCF3EE70184605C</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>SA Western Standard Time(GMT-04:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57956</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, July 23, 2007 10:33 PM
  • Good evening,

My next question is, what am I supposed to do now?  I have a genuine Windows XP Home CD to which I've provided the the serial numbers and ID stamp as requested.  Again, it appears that there is nobody there that wants to help me with my situation and I've simply been wasting my time.  As I've mentioned SEVERAL times in the past, I cannot simply go to the company where I bought the computer from because they are no longer in business.  I've asked to obtain a new Product ID from Customer service, however, I received no calls back and the service I received was less than satisfactory.  Once again, I'm going to ask how to uninstall the WGA program from my computer because it is doing nothing but causing problems.  Since nothing is being done to help me with this, I want this program off my computer once and for all.  If my posts were read properly in the first place, a lot of time would have been saved in solving this rather than going back and forth with useless carbon-copied information.  How is a piracy report going to help me?  Nothing will be done from your end in order to make my computer "ligitemate" and I will continue to have these problems.  Unless I receive some satisfactory service and get a new Product Key for my CD, this program is completely useless.  So, I ask you again, can you please tell me how to remove the WGA program? 

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 12:30 AM
  • Rudsel,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 11), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, a Volume License for XP is an upgrade-only license and can never be used as the original or base license for XP on a computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

More bad news:  Your Office 2003 Pro installation is showing as Nongenuine (Office status=114 means nongenuine).  If this comes as a surprise to you, please go back to where you purchased the installed copy of Office and let them know that it is a counterfeit copy and that you demand the genuine copy that you paid for, or a refund.  In any case, please uninstall the nongenuine installation of Office 2003 as soon as possible.

Since you do not have a Certificate of Authenticity for Windows anywhere on the computer or that came with the computer, and most likely the same holds true for your Office 2003 Pro, then it's a certainty that neither the Windows nor Office are genuine instalaltions on your computer.

In order to Get Genuine, you should consider participating in both the Windows Genuine Offer, http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0EPKAC and the Office Genuine Offer, http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0ELAAE.

In order to participate in one or both Offers, please follow the Get Genuine prompts shown to you after you attempt to Validate Windows http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=87a4cb0b-9852-444c-a79d-659a88cb24e8 and Validate Office http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=87a4cb0b-9852-444c-a79d-659a88cb24e8.

Please post back should you have any questions.  Good Luck!

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 1:08 AM