CRM 2011 -- SQL Server Hard Disk Type RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have just downloaded CRM 2011 from MSDN, and am working on getting the requirements and getting this set up in our lab/test environment.  We are using Hyper V as a virtualization application, which limits our availability of RAID configurations.

Per the Planning guide, it is recommended that CRM 2011's SQL Server Hard Disk is as follows:

Hard disk

SAS RAID 5 or RAID 10 hard disk array

SAS RAID 5 or RAID 10 hard disk array

What I'm wondering is, in a lab environment where the data is not mission critical, can I use a normal HDD configuration?  No RAID at all, just a partition of a HDD?  Please let me know.  Thanks

Friday, March 4, 2011 5:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Yes you can.  I just installed a server for my dev work that way in fact.  It will work fine for the type of application you are suggesting.

Jamie Miley
    Friday, March 4, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply.  I assumed that the RAID configuration was just a measure to increase redundancy.   But my question is why does the Technet article say you need to have the RAID configuration?  I have found MS Tech Net installation guides, et al, to be only partially useful because they leave key pieces of information out of their guides.  This is why every fresh install I am doing of something we don't have documented, I am creating step-by-step install guides, as my company doesn't trust MS to have the proper documentation.
    Friday, March 4, 2011 6:43 PM