none
Domain configured but not verified RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I got this message from WHS and unable to get all the things works well. Please help.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:02 AM

Answers

• Hi Raphael,
    a ping resolves to a certain IP address and times out.
    So maybe this is the last registered address of your server/router.
    Please verify in the routers external IP address matches to that value.
    If not, please check on the server in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services, if the Windows Live Custom Domains service is started.
    If yes, double check, if your server uses still the internal IP which is configured for port forwarding.
    On the server desktop open a command prompt, type ipconfig and press Enter. Verify, if the IP address, which is shown here, matches the forwarding target address.
    Can you access the server website internally via http://server and via http://ipaddresss_of_server?
    (You will have to expect a certificate warning in this case.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Raphael99 Sunday, January 25, 2009 6:35 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:13 PM
  • Raphael, to log in to the Remote Access web site, you need to use an account which has been created through the Windows Home Server console, and which is not an administrator on your server. 
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Raphael99 Sunday, January 25, 2009 6:37 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Hi Olaf and Ken,

I verified the router and found that the external ports HTTP and HTTPS protocols were addressed to another machine. I don't understand why!!!

Correct withe the server IP and all is working fine.

Thanks a lot to you both

Regards

Raphael

PS How can I mark this post making it solved?

• Marked as answer by Raphael99 Friday, January 23, 2009 6:32 AM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 6:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    a bit short on information your question, don't you think?
    Was it a fresh install or one, which had working remote access before?
    Have you already configured port forwarding in the router to the internal IP address or your home server (for ports 80, 443 and 4125)?

Is it a homeserver.com domain or the tzo.com domain provided with HP Smart Media Servers?

Olaf
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:50 AM
  • Hi thanks for reply.
    It is an old installation which worked before.
    My ports are all forwarding (open) and have set UPNP on on the router.
    It is a homeserver domain.
    Sorry for not have posted these information.
    Hope you can help me.
    Greetings from Italy
    Raphael
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:25 PM
  • Hi Raphael,
    sometimes also the Windows Live Custom Domain services are down or have a problem. Did you try a reboot already to exclude an issue with the Windows Live Domain service on your server (I found the service on one of my servers not started today)?
    You could try to unconfigure and reconfigure the domain using the same live ID (this is what helped me in similar situations).
    As a workaround I have configured a dyndns domain in my router to keep access in situations like that.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Hi Olaf,
    I just added a new Hd without no problem.
    I resetted and reconfigured my live id but not worked (it's almost two days I'm trying that!)
    I'm not able to configure a dyndns domain on my router (I have a netgear dg 834 GT)
    Can you suggest something?
    Thanks for reply.
    Best Regards
    Raphael
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Raphael99 said:

I'm not able to configure a dyndns domain on my router (I have a netgear dg 834 GT)
    Can you suggest something?

according to the manual of your router it is capable for configuring a dyndns.org account, which you must have registered before, under Advanced/Dynamic DNS (title of the chapter is "How to Configure Dynamic DNS").

You can try to create manual inbound rules for your home server remote access in the router instead of relying on UPnP configuration.
    Title in the manual: Inbound Rules (Port Forwarding).

Can you access the server website from within your network by calling http://server?
    How exactly do you determine, that it doesn't work any more (since some routers do not support the loopback of a call from your internal network via Internet interface of the router back to the internal network)?

Olaf
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:47 AM
  • Good morning Olaf,
    thanks for your responce.
    I've tried to set up a Dynamic DNS (DynDNS) but still WHS does not works .
    I also have manually forwarded ports desabiliting UPNP but still it does not works.
    I can't access from my network to the server calling https://XXXX.homeserver.com
    But I have a question: can I do restore in these conditions or this made only unaccesible my server from outside? Because I use it more for backup and restore and would like to know if these malfunctioning determines impossibility of restore.
    Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Raphael
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 9:12 AM
  • Hi Raphael,
    the homeserver.com domain is only needed for accessing the server from outside.
    It has nothing to do with backup, restore and offering shared folders in the LAN.
    (If you wish you can drop me a mail with the name of your domain and I check if it is accessible from here.)
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 9:24 AM
  • Olaf, good answer and good news I would like to send you an email, but how can I do?
    Just for testing
    Regards
    Raphael
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:27 AM
  • Hi Raphael,
    my email address is part of the profile, click on my name on top of the posting to look at it.
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:28 AM
  • Olaf I found it. I sent immediately.
    Let me know please
    Regards
    Raphael
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:31 AM
  • Olaf,
    your mail does not works. Refused.
    I'm sorry.
    Raphael
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:40 AM
  • This is the error sending mail to you:

Your message

To:      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: I: Server by Raphael

Sent:    Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:38:07 +0100

did not reach the following recipient(s):

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:50:02 +0100

The recipient could not be processed because it would violate the security policy in force

<smtp-out113.alice.it #5.7.7 smtp;550 5.7.7 Your message appears to be unsolicited or bulk -- send error reports to postmaster@xxxxxxxxx
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:53 AM
  • Did you type the email address into the address field, or did you click it? Sometimes these "mailto"  links do not work well, so typing is more safe.
    Other than that the problem is either the configuration of your email software (can you send emails to other recipients not at the same provider directly?) or your or my mail provider (spam filter?).
    Ok, according to the last link it could be my mail provider, they recently added an antispam solution.
    Try instead this address.
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:51 PM
  • just sent Olaf
    Let me know. Thanks
    Regards
    Raphael
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:54 PM
  • Hi Raphael,
    a ping resolves to a certain IP address and times out.
    So maybe this is the last registered address of your server/router.
    Please verify in the routers external IP address matches to that value.
    If not, please check on the server in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services, if the Windows Live Custom Domains service is started.
    If yes, double check, if your server uses still the internal IP which is configured for port forwarding.
    On the server desktop open a command prompt, type ipconfig and press Enter. Verify, if the IP address, which is shown here, matches the forwarding target address.
    Can you access the server website internally via http://server and via http://ipaddresss_of_server?
    (You will have to expect a certificate warning in this case.)
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Raphael99 Sunday, January 25, 2009 6:35 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:13 PM
  • Hello Olaf thanks for you taking time with me!
    No it is not the last registered address ip on the server /router and ping works fine from a client.
    The router external IP matches to that value and it is monitored by DHCP
    Windows Live Custom Domains is started (automatic) but I dont understand how to double check it!
    Ipconfig give back the correct IP address which I pinged before from a client
    I tried to access via http://ipaddress_of _server and got a message error "ERROR: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain" and so I can't get inside.
    That' all.
    Regards
    Raphael
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:37 PM
  • Hi Raphael,
    you can overcome the certificate warning in IE by simply selecting Ignore that warning in the middle of the page.
    You could install Toolkit 1.1 and run the troubleshooting tools here.
    Have to run for train now.

Olaf
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:15 PM
  • Olaf,
    I use Firefox and try to do an exception. Log in a video in which require Username and password but get the following message error:

"To protect the security of your home network, you cannot log on remotely by using the Administrator user account. To administer your home network remotely, log on with your own user account. Then click the Console button on the Computers tab to connect to the Windows Home Server Console."
    Installed Toolkit. Wait for instructions.
    Thanks
    Regards
    Raphael
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:29 PM
  • Raphael, to log in to the Remote Access web site, you need to use an account which has been created through the Windows Home Server console, and which is not an administrator on your server. 
    • Marked as answer by Raphael99 Sunday, January 25, 2009 6:37 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Hi Ken Thanks for come. Is that necessary? I found obstructing it.
    Regards
    Raphael
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:41 PM
  • As the error you saw when you tried to log in to your home server's remote access web site with an administrator account states, using an administrator account is risky. It's also unnecessary. You will have access to the WHS Console from the Computers tab (note: the Computers tab is only visible if you are using Internet Explorer to access the RA site); this will use the Administrator account automatically, but in a more secure fashion.

So is it necessary? Perhaps not. But it's more secure, and more in line with recommended security best practices. Since many home computer users have only the vaguest conception of how to secure their computers and network, I suppose Microsoft decided to take the proactive step of preventing access with an administrator account.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

As the error you saw when you tried to log in to your home server's remote access web site with an administrator account states, using an administrator account is risky. It's also unnecessary. You will have access to the WHS Console from the Computers tab (note: the Computers tab is only visible if you are using Internet Explorer to access the RA site); this will use the Administrator account automatically, but in a more secure fashion.

So is it necessary? Perhaps not. But it's more secure, and more in line with recommended security best practices. Since many home computer users have only the vaguest conception of how to secure their computers and network, I suppose Microsoft decided to take the proactive step of preventing access with an administrator account.

Dear Ken,

I was meaning is that was necessary to solve my problem to connect via http://ipaddress...

In fact i find difficult to log with another user and dont understand the meaning of that with my problem.

Anyway thanks for your clarification

Best Regards

Raphael

Friday, January 23, 2009 5:46 AM
  • Hi Olaf and Ken,

I verified the router and found that the external ports HTTP and HTTPS protocols were addressed to another machine. I don't understand why!!!

Correct withe the server IP and all is working fine.

Thanks a lot to you both

Regards

Raphael

PS How can I mark this post making it solved?

• Marked as answer by Raphael99 Friday, January 23, 2009 6:32 AM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 6:32 AM
  • Raphael99 said:

How can I mark this post making it solved?

Hi Raphael,
    thanks for reporting back.
    Select the postings within the thread as Answer or Helpfull, which pointed you to the problem.
    This marks the thread as answered and points other people directly to the postings (and also credits the posters for their answers).
    Olaf
    Friday, January 23, 2009 8:11 AM
  • Hi-

My home server is setup and works for all of your questions, including internal access.

How do I "verify" domain?

Thanks
    Friday, April 10, 2009 7:59 AM
  • Hi-
    Sorry for being a newbie, but didn't understand that answer:

How do I setup an account through the Home Server Console?

Thanks
    Friday, April 10, 2009 8:01 AM
  • Hi-
    Sorry for being a newbie, but didn't understand that answer:

How do I setup an account through the Home Server Console?

Thanks

If you have a specific question, you would be much better off starting your own thread (intead of adding to one that is already marked as "answered").
    Friday, April 10, 2009 11:49 PM