on the Mac (10.5.8), I get "Choose a different location. The Live Mesh Agent returned an error: 503" when adding any directory. RRS feed

• General discussion

• It used to work fine, and I have existing folders which sync. I have lots of space allowance left.

An example of the directory is: /Users/hobbss/Documents/work  This is a small directory with a handful of small files.

I tried rebooting and restarting the live mesh agent, but same error.

Searched google - no matches.

Anyone?

Friday, May 21, 2010 11:05 AM

All replies

• I believe that a 503 error is typically an authentication error of some kind. It seems like you may have a permissions issue of some sort - and it may be specific to Live Mesh. Have you tried the steps in this thread? http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/ebf613d1-31d0-4e64-a7e2-272a9a1ee223/

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, May 24, 2010 2:38 PM
  • Hi, thanks for the reply. I tried the post as suggested, doing the following:

1) Quit the Live Mesh client.

2) Delete the Live Mesh settings in Application Support (~\Library\Application Support\Live Mesh).  - THERE WERE NO SETTINGS here to delete...

3) Delete the Live Mesh preference (~\Library\Preferences\com.microsoft.LiveMesh.plist).  - I MOVED ONTO DESKTOP

4) Launch Live Mesh client, at which point it allowed me to login as though for the first time and re-select the folder I wanted in my mesh."

Now when I run livemesh, it asks to login.  when I enter my valid live mesh email address and password (which I can use to login to mesh.com no problems) it gives the same error:

Unable to sign in to live mesh

The Live Mesh Agent returned an error: 503

So back to square 1 - its broken for me on mac for no apparent reason (I have not changed any settings or passwords from the day it worked to the day it didnt.

Any ideas?

Anyone know where you can fill out a bug report?  There is a feedback page, but it only offers french and Japanese - nothing for english.  I tried the french(Canada) option, but got no reply.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:09 AM
  • The feedback link is odd and I reported it this morning.

You can still submit bug reports and feedback here:

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you may not receive a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

In the meantime, you may want to have a look at Live Sync - http://sync.live.com

Live Sync and Live Mesh are slated to merge in the next release of Windows Live, according to the blogs and other news sources.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 1:01 PM
  • I tried everthing to fix this error, there is certainly no problem with the user/login values. Its only a problem on the mac.  Short of reinstalling OSX, I dont have any more options.

I have switched to dropbox till there is a resolution.  Live sync, looks nice, but only supports 20 dirs, and my eclipse development project (only about 2MB has well over that in subdirectories for each module, unfortunately).

Our goegraphically spread company recently switched from using a clunky wiki as a document repository (confluence) to using dropbox to share docs, and it has revolutionised our productivity, as its amost intant, and it locks out other users when you are updating the doc etc.  The first company who brings out a file synching system which supports the concept of different users (i.e. departments) seeing different directories, we will buy it.  This would be kind of like having a dropbox/live mesh for each department, but dropbox only allows you to have one per user (unless you use dropboxen or other hacky type solution).

Simon.

Friday, July 2, 2010 1:43 PM