none
weird errors RRS feed

• Question

• I try to echo a folder with several subfolders. Synctoy chooses to copy some of the subfolders but not all, and it ignores even more files in the folders. For test purposes I made a new test folder into which I copied one folder that does get echoed and one that doesnt get echoed in the original folder. In this test folder both folders get echoed, but it still leaves out some files... I tried out many other combinations, but I cant find a pattern that explains which files or folders get left out and which get echoed. One things seems certain that it does not want to echo the desktop.ini files.

I have not tried to synchronise because I dont want to risk data since on the right there arent all the files that are available on the left...

I have SyncToy 2.1 installed with
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 + 3.0 + 3.5 (why so many??)
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 + 3.0 + 3.5 Language Pack DEU
    Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Core Components (x86) ENU
    Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Provider Services (x86) ENU
    Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 SDK (x86) ENU
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:28 PM

All replies

• Hi -

From the SyncToy FAQ - we do not sync the desktop.ini files and the thumbs.db files.

Q. It appears that SyncToy does not synchronize certain system files. Is this expected?

A. The only system files that SyncToy 2.0 does not synchronize are the Thumbs.db and Desktop.ini files and then only if these files are marked with the System AND Hidden attributes. This was a specific feature request we received from many users of SyncToy 1.4 and it seems to provide a better user experience because these two system files are local settings/cache files that do not make sense to replicate to the destination folder.

Thanks
    Deepa

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Monday, February 1, 2010 8:04 PM