Corrupt file "system volume information" on Y: RRS feed

• Question

• I decided to do some recovery integrity testing today. I do this occasionaly just for peace of mind. I open the drive from WHS (as a fake Y: drive) and then do a file and directory compare to the real drive my computer.

The first drive was ok, the second gave my numerous corrupt files on Y:/system volume information[followed by a cryptic lokking file name] and told me to run chkdsk. I tested two other drives, one loaded and compared ok, another failed.

If however I try to restore the backsup from Sept 14, rather than Sept 15, then they all load without errors and compare ok.

A couple of random restores from previous dates work ok.

I've rebooted the WHS server and my computer and get the same results.

At this point I'm going to run rapair and test again.

If I still have problems I will delete all the backups from Sep 15th, and force WHS to do a cleanup Now and rerun a full backup

Just wonderiing why this is happening

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 4:50 AM

Answers

• I do not believe that System Volume Information is backed up. You can confirm this by opening the Computers and Backup tab of the WHS Console and starting to configure a computer. Assuming that's correct, any errors you experience would be a result of WHS backup "pretending" to return that data in order to make the drive look complete.

That said, please bug this on Connect; I don't believe that the behavior you're seeing is really appropriate. Include logs from your server, taken with the WHS Toolkit.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Bob_Rad Wednesday, September 17, 2008 4:17 AM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:49 PM

All replies

• System Volume information contains files, which may change always, also during the backup process.
    I.e. there are stored shadow copies from local disks, snapshots for system restore and similar stuff, so it may happen, that the content of the file group there is not always as it should be, while the snapshot for the backup is created. "Cryptic" file names often point to temporary files as well.
    So if this does not happen always, it should be no reason to be afraid.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:57 PM
  • "So if this does not happen always, it should be no reason to be afraid."

Maybe not to panic, but it worries me if I cannot rely on WHS to provide me a proper restore for a drive. IN this case, if I was doing a real restore, I would only have been able to restore half my drives. The other half would have been restored from the previous day's image.

---------------
    Follow up:

Ran repair, no errors

Deleted the latest backup  from the 15th and ran Cleanup Now

(for a quick test)) Set the backup to only backup one of the drives that was having a problem and did a Backup now - grabbed that backup and compared to the live drive and no problems.

Later today I will do a full backup

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 1:38 PM
  • Hi,
    for this folder you may hit timing issues. If there are no ongoing changes while backup is running, all is fine, but if there are other processes changing data in that folder, the result may depend.

Do not forget, that WHS Backup does not cover each file. There are some excluded by default. Especially recorded TV from Media Center is to mention here.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 2:52 PM
  • I do not believe that System Volume Information is backed up. You can confirm this by opening the Computers and Backup tab of the WHS Console and starting to configure a computer. Assuming that's correct, any errors you experience would be a result of WHS backup "pretending" to return that data in order to make the drive look complete.

That said, please bug this on Connect; I don't believe that the behavior you're seeing is really appropriate. Include logs from your server, taken with the WHS Toolkit.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Bob_Rad Wednesday, September 17, 2008 4:17 AM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:49 PM
  • LOL - well I reported it and wasted another hour - that's a  day down the drain

While trying to send the logs from WHS toolkit I get

TALQ threw exception Could not find file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\1\CabId.log'.

So I ended up finding the error logs in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\..... and zipped them and sent those with the report instead  - hope that works for them

Thanks

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 4:20 AM