Live OneCare 2.0.2500.30 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm starting to get disgusted with Live OneCare. Recently after the auto update to version 2.0.2500.30, Dungeon Siege 2, started locking up on me. I uninstalled another program called Spyware Blaster, which immunizes one's system against spyware, which didn't help one bit. I even uninstalled Live OneCare 2.0, which didn't help.

I then reinstalled Live OneCare 2.0, and now all of a sudden Dungeon Siege 2 is working the way it should.

What disturbs me is that lately, every time Microsoft puts out a minor update to this program, with the last one having come out in January, there has been nothing but trouble with Live OneCare. What I honestly ask, what are the OneCare programmers smoking when they write the updates, and put them out that is causing all this trouble. I should not have to go through the hassle of uninstalling and reinstalling this program multiples times to straighten things out, everytime a minor update comes out.

Honestly OneCare is a good program, as I like it's antispyware, antivirus and firewall capabilities, I'm to the point if the major 2.5 update causes problems when it comes out of beta, I'll be switching internet security packages, as no update to Live OneCare should be causing problems with games, and I highly suspect, Live OneCare 2.0 now is also causing Neverwinter Nights 2, to freeze up during cutscenes on my machine, and causing problems with Quake 4.

I am running Live OneCare 2.0 on Vista 64 with Service Pack 1.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:41 PM

All replies

• I'm sorry to read that you continue to encounter issues on your PC, but I fail to see how you can lay the blame on OneCare if you removed OneCare with no effect on the problem and the problem apparently went away when you installed OneCare once again.

Spyware Blaster should have no impact on the system as it doesn't actually "run" and it scans nothing. I am aware of that program and know that it checks for a protects common entry points for spyware. The last time I used it, I recall that it lays down a fairly large Hosts file, which can impact anything that needs to do a DNS lookup as it has to look at that file, too.

I'd actually be looking to the drivers on your system and the games themselves, though I would not rule out OneCare completely as it is layer of active protection that can indeed interfere with some programs. I'm not a game player, so I am not familiar with the games other than the names, however, freezing in games is more often than not due to video drivers that are pretty poorly optimized - despite being "certified."

-steve

Friday, May 16, 2008 12:11 AM
  • Live OneCare worked great until that 2.5.2500.30 update came out, and then all bloody heck broke loose. Why is it, when an update comes out, and the auto update happens, I end up having problems with the update, until I completely remove the program and reinstall it.

The drivers can't be blamed all the time, what seems awfully fishy is that Live OneCare doesn't have these problems on WindowsXP, which tells me that it isn't totally compatible or compliant with Windows Vista.

I discovered a series of bugs in Catalyst 8.4 for my Radeon 3870X2, as I got that an Intel D975XBX2 over a month ago, after having issues with Nvidia's junk on Windows Vista. I have reported the bugs in Catalyst 8.4.

I have a whole pile of other games, including C&C 3, Company Of Heroes, Two Worlds, and so on that are not affected by this.

I'm hoping that Live OneCare 2.5 when it comes out of beta fixes these problems.

Friday, May 16, 2008 1:47 AM
  • I know it doesn't help you, but I am running OneCare on 3 Vista machines with absolutely no problems at all.

-steve

Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:53 AM
  • Found somethings that were troubling over the weekend.

Uninstalled Live OneCare, then out of curiosity, I ran the Symantec online virus scanner, it found a virus and some trojan backdoors. I can't be sure how accurate it was, or if anything was a false positivie, as I got rid of the junk right away. Then I discovered, my 4GB Crucial Gizmo memory stick isn't stable enough for running Readyboost, and that in turn was causing odd lockup problems, and then on a system reboot, CHKDSK popped off and and ran on my memory stick. After I got back in to Windows Vista, I deleted the Readyboost file on my memory stick, turned off Readyboost, along with System Restore, as System Restore pops off and creates a restore point, when I don't want it too. It looks like Readyboost, along with having a USB memory stick that isn't stable was the big part of my troubles.

I realized that Readyboost didn't give me hardly any performance increase, and wasn't really needed on my system, espicially since I already have 4GB's of ram with plans to go to 8GB's of ram in the fall.

So far everything is running normally, and I even signed up for the Live OneCare 2.5 beta, which I'm currently beta testing.

Monday, May 19, 2008 8:23 PM
  • Thanks for the update. I've never seen the need for Readyboost, but I suppose it would help on a particularly slow and underpowered machine.

-steve

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:46 AM
  • I ended up going back to Windows XP. Windows Vista, messed up the master file table on two of my harddrives to the point, I had to backup data, delete the partitions, and redo those drives, including a reformat for each drive.

Live OneCare actually works and performs better on Windows XP than it does on 64bit Windows Vista for me anyway.

Friday, May 23, 2008 4:22 PM