Installation Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

I am trying to install OCS Std 2007 Public Beta and I'm having an issue.  The Active Directory Preparation runs correctly, but when deploying the server I get the message:

Failure
    [0xC3EC796C] One or more errors occurred during execution of the wizard; the wizard was unable to complete successfully. Please check the log file for more information. 

When I click on the log file I get a message that says it cannot be found, therefore I am unable to get any more info on this error.  The error occurs during the Action "Activate Standard Edition Server" Action info is "Activate Standard Edition Server Log: ..."

Thanks in advance.

Monday, April 16, 2007 8:38 PM

Answers

•  JWags wrote:
    I've given up on the install...wasted enough time.  I am seeing a couple of other people with the same issue (all on VMs) so maybe that is the problem.  If there is a resolution to the problem, I haven't found it.  I would still like to try it out, but its not worth spending any more time on.

I had same problem last night. Everything goes ok except for activation. I was blaming lot's of things, and finally when I try to activate server using LCScmd.exe i found the problem .

The problem was password I was using (this is second time this password cost me few hours of digging deep into product - first time was with SQL server 2005).

So the password I'm using when preparing some test environment is complex, and it's using " - do you know what happen if you pass password like this to a wizard that creates txt setup file?

If my password is P"ssw0rd (it is :-) ), then wizard will use P as password the rest will be cut off. If this line contains more switches - problem like yours occurs.

So - don't use ", ', @, #, $ and similar caracters in your password - if you are - and setup brakes - change it just to see if this is your problem.

Robert

Sunday, June 17, 2007 2:33 PM

All replies

• Do you have any event logs that you can post?
    Monday, April 23, 2007 6:34 AM
  • Part of the problem is, when I click the link (or manually go to find the log file) it tells me it doesn't exist...I'll try the step again to see if there is any other info I can post.
    Monday, April 23, 2007 6:49 PM
  • at the end of the LC Server log it says installation completed successfully, but the installation manager shows partial beside the Server installation "run" button.  When I try to start any of the service for OCS i get the message:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: OCS Server
    Event Category: (1000)
    Event ID: 12326
    Date:  4/25/2007
    Time:  1:26:04 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: ServerName

Description:
    Failed starting the protocol stack. The service has to stop

Error code is:0x8007200A (The specified directory service attribute or value does not exist.
    ).
    Cause: Check the previous entries in the event log for the failure reason.
    Resolution:
    Try restarting the server after resolving the failures listed in the previous event log entries.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

and

Event Source: OCS Server
    Event Category: (1000)
    Event ID: 12323
    Description:
    Unable to initialize the protocol stack. The service has to stop.

Error code: 8007200A (The specified directory service attribute or value does not exist.
    ).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

No other errors appear in any of the event logs.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 7:45 PM
  • One more error:

Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7024
    Description:
    The Office Communications Server Front-End service terminated with service-specific error 2147950602 (0x8007200A).

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 8:05 PM
  • Hello,

Please provide me with a brief description of your domain infrastructure and your OCS topology.

Thanks,

MIke Adkins

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 1:35 AM
  • Thanks for your reply,

Pretty simple network:

DC is running at Domain Functional level --> Windows Server 2003 and Forest Functional level --> Windows 2000.

Exchange 2003 enterprise server (on Windows Server 2003) that has an install of the messaging components of LCS 2005.

All of our servers involved with the install are running on top of VMware Vi3.

I have built a new VM Server running Server 2003 R2 Ent and patched it to current levels (skipping SP2 though).

The VM I built has 3 Hard Disks, 1 x 10GB, and 2 x 15GB.  The VM is also configured to have 2gb RAM

I am trying to install OCS 2007 SE on the server (all components on one machine for internal testing only) and it dies with the errors I posted above.

I have been letting the OCS installation install SQL Server for me, as well as MSXML Parser (although I have also tried preinstalling the parser)

I have tried everything I can think of with the accounts I am using for OCS (and they are currently Enterprise Admins).

Please let me know if you would like more info.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 3:08 PM
  • Hi,

Can you let us know the status of your issue? If you were able to resolve your issue, can you share your fix with the forums? If not, can you let us know the current status of your environment and I will try to bring in more help?

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 11:05 PM
  • I've given up on the install...wasted enough time.  I am seeing a couple of other people with the same issue (all on VMs) so maybe that is the problem.  If there is a resolution to the problem, I haven't found it.  I would still like to try it out, but its not worth spending any more time on.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 2:41 PM
  •  JWags wrote:
    I've given up on the install...wasted enough time.  I am seeing a couple of other people with the same issue (all on VMs) so maybe that is the problem.  If there is a resolution to the problem, I haven't found it.  I would still like to try it out, but its not worth spending any more time on.

Q: Did you by any chance prepare you VMs using NewSID program? Or did you run sysprep on them?

I'm having same issues at the moment, and since I used NewSID i'm blaming this utility for my problems - I will try to sysprep the machine

Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:18 PM
  •  JWags wrote:

I had same problem last night. Everything goes ok except for activation. I was blaming lot's of things, and finally when I try to activate server using LCScmd.exe i found the problem .

The problem was password I was using (this is second time this password cost me few hours of digging deep into product - first time was with SQL server 2005).

So the password I'm using when preparing some test environment is complex, and it's using " - do you know what happen if you pass password like this to a wizard that creates txt setup file?

If my password is P"ssw0rd (it is :-) ), then wizard will use P as password the rest will be cut off. If this line contains more switches - problem like yours occurs.

So - don't use ", ', @, #, $ and similar caracters in your password - if you are - and setup brakes - change it just to see if this is your problem.

Robert

Sunday, June 17, 2007 2:33 PM
  • Hi;

Thanks for your posts. It worked for me with OCS Public Beta Enterprise setup.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:23 AM
  • I am syspreping the systems on my Golden Master Template.

As far as the passwords go, I have no wildcards in the password (not required for the test network)...do you think spaces would have the same effect?

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 2:10 PM
  • Yep...removed spaces from passwords and now it works...thanks a lot!!!!
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:22 PM