Sync framework Microsoft.Synchronization.FeedSync with SIlverlight and WCF service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have a requirement where in one of our clients require Synchronization withsilverlight OOB. I understand that as of Sync framework SDK 2.1 this feature is not directly available. On performing a few internet seaches I had found a site called http://feedsyncsamples.com/codeplex. This implementation has the following problem.

1) The server side code is very complex. This is because it does not implement Microsoft.Synchronization.feedsync library.

2) The samples are using ASMX files

3) The hosted application is on MSLIVELabbs hence stepping through the server side code is not possible.

It also has a Silverlight sample. That also again does no seem to work.

What help I expect from you or your Ms team is that I would like to have a WCF services that uses Microsoft.Synchronization.feedsync. We would like to know which class to inherit and provide implementation for server side. The server will act as a consumer of the feed and then also send the updated details to Silverlight OOB. Hence it is essentailly a Bi-Directional feed with ClientWins scenario.

The silverlight generally stores the details in local isolated storage as XML on getting connected we would like to produce a feed from all contentsin isolated storage and send the same to WCF service. So please let us know what needs to ne done on the client as the Sync Framework libarries are not built against the SL runtime.

We cannot use Sync frame work 4 as it is still in CTP.

Venkatesh. S|MCTS(WCF, ADO.NET 3.5)|eMail: heman_1978@hotmail.com
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 12:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Venkatesh,

What storage/database/provider do you have on the service/server side?

thanks

sid

Monday, May 23, 2011 7:34 PM
  • Hi Sid,

On the Server side it is going to WCF data services and in the client side we are still open to options. We are open to have anything from just an XML file in Isolated storage to Silverlight database like EFFIPROZ. Please note that the client side is an Silverlight App.

Thanks and regads

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:25 AM
  • I see - sorry, we don't support interop between our FeedSync providers and a WCF Data Services endpoint. Also, our Sync Services version 4 CTP (which will be released with source code later this year) does not work on top of an existing OData service head. You need to have a seperate service head for our sync service.

I suggest you take a look at the WCF Data Services data caching CTP:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astoriateam/archive/2011/04/20/using-microsoft-wcf-data-services-reference-data-caching-extensions-ctp.aspx

thanks

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:31 AM
  • Hi Sid,

our concern is not to Sync with WCF data service. We understand that Synchronization will need a to be separate service head. Our concern is to Sync the silverlight and with a intermediate data layer. Once that is done we will then go ahead and extract the synchronized data and update the same to the Data services.

I had a glance of the link that you had sent. It looks this might also work.  Any idea when this is slated for release? We have a requirement from one of our customer for having this feature. Is there are some thing that is available today on which we need to put in some extra effort and getting the same thing working?

Thanks and regards

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:44 AM