McAfee Total Protection Service Firewall Breaks Connection to Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP MediaSmart 485 home server.  One of their recommendations is to install the McAfee Total Protection service on the server, which I did about a month ago.  Today, I finally got around to installing the McAfee Total Protection service on my main client PC.  The McAfee firewall breaks the inbound connections from the server.  I've tried telling it that my network is trusted, and also tried allowing my specific range of local (e.g. 192.168.1.XXX - 192.168.1.YYY) IP addresses.  None of these issues solve the problem.  However, if I just disable the firewall, then connection to the server works fine.

With the McAfee firewall on, the Windows Home Server Diagnostics complain about just about everything. 

Are there other solutions out there to allow use of the McAfee Total Protection firewall and still use the home server?

Cap
    Cap
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:47 AM

All replies

• I have a HP MediaSmart 485 home server.  One of their recommendations is to install the McAfee Total Protection service on the server, which I did about a month ago.  Today, I finally got around to installing the McAfee Total Protection service on my main client PC.  The McAfee firewall breaks the inbound connections from the server.  I've tried telling it that my network is trusted, and also tried allowing my specific range of local (e.g. 192.168.1.XXX - 192.168.1.YYY) IP addresses.  None of these issues solve the problem.  However, if I just disable the firewall, then connection to the server works fine.

With the McAfee firewall on, the Windows Home Server Diagnostics complain about just about everything. 

Are there other solutions out there to allow use of the McAfee Total Protection firewall and still use the home server?

Cap
    Cap

One suggestion would be to call HP for support (especially if it's them recommending McAfee in the first place).
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 4:13 AM