Remote access RRS feed

• Question

• Ok ive tryin for 2 days getting this to work. This is what i dit first i enabled UPnP but WHS fail to configure the router using that so i decided to open the ports manually even with all the ports open remote access fails. I have phoned the ISP and none of the ports are blocked so it cannot be that. If anyone can assist me in this matter it would be greatly appreciated. Router im using is a D-link DSL 4620U. I might have missed something in the router config so any help would be appreciated

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    you can perform some tests (each only, if the step before was successful).
    Step 1: Try if you can reach the servers remote access website inhouse by calling http://server from one of your workstations. (Replace server with the name of your home server.)
    Step 2: Try to ping yourname.homeserver.com. Does the ping respond with the external IP address of your router (which you should see somewhere in it's configuration interface)?
    Step 3: Try accessing yourname.homeserver.com from outside of your home network. Many routers do not support loopback connections from LAN via Internet to LAN. So attempts to access the own homeserver.com website from within the same LAN will fail. If you have no chance to test it, you can send me a mail (address in profile) with the name of your domain.)

(Port Forwarding should be configured to redirect accesses to port 80, 443 and 4125 to the internal IP address of your server.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    you can perform some tests (each only, if the step before was successful).
    Step 1: Try if you can reach the servers remote access website inhouse by calling http://server from one of your workstations. (Replace server with the name of your home server.)
    Step 2: Try to ping yourname.homeserver.com. Does the ping respond with the external IP address of your router (which you should see somewhere in it's configuration interface)?
    Step 3: Try accessing yourname.homeserver.com from outside of your home network. Many routers do not support loopback connections from LAN via Internet to LAN. So attempts to access the own homeserver.com website from within the same LAN will fail. If you have no chance to test it, you can send me a mail (address in profile) with the name of your domain.)

(Port Forwarding should be configured to redirect accesses to port 80, 443 and 4125 to the internal IP address of your server.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:22 AM
  • Thank you for the quick awnser did some tests from my workplace and everything works great from outside. So it seems my problem is internal only.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:54 AM