Questions about configuring Silent Install XML RRS feed

• Question

• Just a few quick questions on the silent install xml:

1. For an on-premise deployment of CRM, should we use database encryption keys? Or is that usually meant for IFD?
    2. If you define a service account for CRM, and you have multiple CRM installations, can you use the same service account and assign it multiple spn's?
    3. What specifically does the service account need access to before beinning the installation?
    4. Is there any reason besides custom naming to not use AutoGroupManagement?
    5. What is the easiest way to check my WebsiteUrl path? Currently we just use Server/Tenant. If I want a new install to have the same URL path, what do I define it as?
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 8:20 PM

Answers

• 1/ DB encryption can be used if you want to encrypt the data... it is not required for IFD, it is more a security choice to make

2/ Yes you can, the only thing not to do is referencing multiple time the same computer name for one service account SPN

3/ Nothing during the installation time... It is more the installation account that requires local admin rights one CRM Server and SQL Server. And also write privilege in the target OU in Active Directory

4/ The AutoGroupManagement makes the CRM add automatically users to groups when adding user in the CRM application. So, if you prefer to manage the users in AD groups by yourself, turn this feature to "true" as the real name is "AutoGroupManagementOff"

5/ If you need multiple CRM on one common URL, use IFD

My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com

All my tools on my new dedicated site: MSCRMTools Repository
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, May 10, 2010 8:18 PM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 8:23 AM

All replies

• answer :

2- yes you can use it

3- the user must be domain administrator

Thanks for any help :) my blog is: http://www.waelk.com
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:57 AM
  • 1/ DB encryption can be used if you want to encrypt the data... it is not required for IFD, it is more a security choice to make

2/ Yes you can, the only thing not to do is referencing multiple time the same computer name for one service account SPN

3/ Nothing during the installation time... It is more the installation account that requires local admin rights one CRM Server and SQL Server. And also write privilege in the target OU in Active Directory

4/ The AutoGroupManagement makes the CRM add automatically users to groups when adding user in the CRM application. So, if you prefer to manage the users in AD groups by yourself, turn this feature to "true" as the real name is "AutoGroupManagementOff"

5/ If you need multiple CRM on one common URL, use IFD

My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com

All my tools on my new dedicated site: MSCRMTools Repository
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, May 10, 2010 8:18 PM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 8:23 AM