Can't Install OneCare 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have been a beta 2.0 tester for some time and have enjoyed using this product, especially the final stable versions.  I received an email informing me to uninstall the beta and install the full version etc...  On installation of the release version I get Error ID: 0046-80004005 saying that OneCare is incompatible with Dynamic Disks and to convert back to basic disks.  I've had no problems running the beta version on Dynamic disks, having installed and uninstalled several times.  Meanwhile, converting to basic disks would involve re-installing my entire boot drive!!!

Is there a solution as I've already paid for a new subscription and would like to use this product.

Friday, November 23, 2007 2:01 AM

Answers

•  Patriot1 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback guys, but it doesn't solve my problem.  Microsoft, is OneCare therefore not compatible with Dynamic disks and is there no other workaround except reformatting my hard drive?

Please let me know so I can purchase another software package.

OneCare can no longer be installed on a PC with Dynamic Disk partitions. So, if you don't want to go through the pain of a format and full restore of the PC, you can't use OneCare.

-steve

Sunday, December 2, 2007 11:03 PM

All replies

• I've got the same problem.

Friday, November 23, 2007 10:11 AM
  • Hey guys,

Give this article a shot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913964/en-us

PLEASE DO A BACKUP FIRST AS THESE STEPS ARE RISKY!

I hope this helps!

Friday, November 23, 2007 11:16 AM
  • Hey,

It's not going to work, I'm running Vista Ultimate.

Friday, November 23, 2007 11:31 AM
  • Sorry I don't know that there is a way to do the same thing in Vista, and I can't recommend that you try the steps as I don't know how they will impact Vista.

Sad

Friday, November 23, 2007 11:33 AM
  • It won't impact Vista, as Vista doesn't allow you to install it.
    Friday, November 23, 2007 11:43 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback guys, but it doesn't solve my problem.  Microsoft, is OneCare therefore not compatible with Dynamic disks and is there no other workaround except reformatting my hard drive?

Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:35 AM
  • That's right, all U can do is format you hard drive, convert disk too standard !!!

OneCare is now running again on my PC.

Sunday, December 2, 2007 8:46 AM
  • I have Windows XP home version....how do I know if I'm on the right disk format???  Dynamic or standard???

Sunday, December 2, 2007 3:46 PM
  • I'm sorry, it's called basic, not standard

Use the right mouse button on My Computer --> Manage --> Disc Management --> right mouse click on Disk n --> convert to Basic.

Sunday, December 2, 2007 4:04 PM
  •  Patriot1 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback guys, but it doesn't solve my problem.  Microsoft, is OneCare therefore not compatible with Dynamic disks and is there no other workaround except reformatting my hard drive?

OneCare can no longer be installed on a PC with Dynamic Disk partitions. So, if you don't want to go through the pain of a format and full restore of the PC, you can't use OneCare.

-steve

Sunday, December 2, 2007 11:03 PM
  • I have the same issue.  It stopped working a couple of weeks ago.  I still have time on my subscription and Microsoft has been useless.  They insist I changed my drives to Dynamic and that's why it stopped working.  They deny it ever worked with Dynamic disks.

UNBELIEVABLE.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:44 AM
  •  KevinViator wrote:

I have the same issue.  It stopped working a couple of weeks ago.  I still have time on my subscription and Microsoft has been useless.  They insist I changed my drives to Dynamic and that's why it stopped working.  They deny it ever worked with Dynamic disks.

UNBELIEVABLE.

OneCare 1.x worked on PCs with Dynamic disk partitions, but people encountered significant, random issues with Internet access and the firewall. Dynamic disk partitions are now checked during the install and if found, OneCare will not install.

-steve

Sunday, January 27, 2008 10:03 PM