Question - Check File Contents RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi - I just copied 300 GB of data from my internal data drive to my new external backup drive using SyncToy, but now I realized that I didn't have Check File Contents enabled.  Is there a way to do this check now, after the fact, to verify the copied data?  Or do I have to blow away the copied files and do the whole thing over again with the option enabled?  I'd like to avoid that second option if possible...

Thanks,

Brian

Sunday, December 14, 2008 10:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Brian -

"Check File Contents" is used to verify that two files are identical at the time of the sync. It is not a chkdsk kind of option that you can use to verify the integrity of the files/filesystem. You can check it/uncheck it at any time in a folder pairs lifetime. When the feature is turned on, we create files hashes of the contents of the files and compare them against each other to see if they have unchanged ( normally we would just use timestamps to see if files have changed).

So you can check that option now and do a sync - it will take more time than usual and should tell you that files on both sides are identical ( assuming you have made no changes since).

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 12:09 AM