Why does this happen... RRS feed

• Question

• and can I avoid it.  I use Jukefly and Orb mostly to stream my content over the internet.  when the server restarts for whatever reason these processes don't start if u don't login to the server.  For example updates were installed last night and the system restarted and it goes to the screen that say "press ctrl+alt+del..."  with the server in this state Jukefly and Orb don't start.  I can access the server over the internet with it like this though.  If i'm RDC'ed into the server on the LAN i can see the icon for Jukefly and Orb popping up after i log into, they will work until another restart then i have to login to the server again to get them started.  Can this be avoided?
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You should change them from a startup type program, to 'running as a service'.
    the program 'srvany.exe' with achieve this on a WHS, and this site has both the download and instructions on how to implement.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:02 PM
  • i've never messed with regedit...too scared to mess things up i guess...is this the only way? 
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:22 PM
  • You can try the srvany.exe tool, per Colin. It's possible that one or the other of those programs will require desktop access, in which case srvany may not be able to run it as a service. (I don't know, as I don't use either.)

I would recommend obtaining srvany.exe directly from Microsoft, however, instead of from a third party site. It's part of the Windows NT Resource Kit, downloadable from here, and there are instructions on using it to create a service either as part of the resource kit or here on the Microsoft support site. There's normally no need to mess with regedit to do this if you don't want to.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:26 PM
  • hi "ncinsguy" i solved this with TweakUI for xp..i instald it and then go to autologon.. and fill in my passwordt...done reboot and zou will see it´s done grtzz
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:13 AM
  • Hi,
    jojo464 said:

i solved this with TweakUI for xp..i instald it and then go to autologon.. and fill in my passwordt...done reboot and zou will see it´s done grtzz

this method is not only unsupported and not recommended to use on a server OS, it leaves the console wide open with Administrator access for everyone passing by.
    Also you would not need to install any tool like TweakUI, simply run the command control userpasswords2 to get the same facilities with built in stuff.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:56 AM
  • i checked out the Windows NT Resource Kit and got as far as the cmd prompt and then i got confused as to what to type in the line.  i go the 1st half of the line correct i think but i'm not sure about the rest.  the programs i want to run as services are Jukefly and Orb.  So in the 2nd half do i go "...Instsrv.exe Jukefly C:\Program Files\Resource Kit\Srvany.exe" ?  this is how the example in the instructions show it but i'm unsure about this.  i would think it would point to the .exe of the program i want to open right?  is there anything that is safe out there that will do this for me?
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:08 PM