Running OneCare safety scan RRS feed

• General discussion

• I started running the "OneCare Safety Scan" 3/21/2010 @11:00.

It was at 55% in 1 hour.   26 hours later, STILL at 55%!

I have several hundred "Kindle" books and thousands of MP3 music files.  It seems to be reading these files VERY slowly.

Is this correct? How long can this possibly take?

I'm willing to wait this out, IF it's working correctly.

Thanks for any help and feedback,  glwyatt

My sys: Dell Optiplex 620, P-4, HT, 3.4, 500 gig HD, 4 gig RAM,

XP widows Media Center.

• Changed type JimR1Moderator Monday, March 22, 2010 10:58 PM
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Monday, March 22, 2010 10:59 PM Off topic. Not an MSE question. (From:Microsoft Security Essentials: Scanning, Detecting, and Removing Threats)
    Monday, March 22, 2010 8:00 PM

All replies

• Can you see the name of the file it is currently scanning?  If this is not changing, I'd kill the scan.  Some scanners seem to get stuck on particular files, often because of permissions issues.  This is highly undesirable, but it happens.

I take it you are doing the online scan?

What was the reason for doing the scan?

"glwyatt" wrote in message news:8812a166-a8df-44b8-818b-ca476dc65286...

I started running the "OneCare Safety Scan" 3/21/2010 @11:00.

It was at 55% in 1 hour.   26 hours later, STILL at 55%!

I have several hundred "Kindle" books and thousands of MP3 music files.  It seems to be reading these files VERY slowly.

Is this correct? How long can this possibly take?

I'm willing to wait this out, IF it's working correctly.

Thanks for any help and feedback,  glwyatt

My sys: Dell Optiplex 620, P-4, HT, 3.4, 500 gig HD, 4 gig RAM,

XP widows Media Center.

Bill Sanderson
    Monday, March 22, 2010 8:25 PM
  • Hi Bill, thanks for your input.  Yes, it is scanning, and I see the various files, (MP3 & Kindle book), very slowly changing, maybe every 90 seconds. But, my God, with all I have in there, (including "War and Peace", lol), this could go on forever! Has anyone else encountered such an incredibly slow scan? Again, thanks, Gary
    Monday, March 22, 2010 11:07 PM
  • If you have other anti-virus, anti-spyware or anti-malware programs running on your computer, they may intercept the scan being performed by the Online Safety Scanner and slow it down. You may wish to disable the real-time protection components of your other security software before running the Safety Scanner. Remember to turn them back on after you are finished.  Also, it probably would be wise to disconnect from the net while you have your installed security disabled.
    Regards, Dave
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:37 AM