none
"Internal error in the c# compiler" viewing instances when debugging a dump of w3wp.exe

Question

• Hi,

I'm struggling to find any information about this issue, possibly just searching for the wrong phrase.

We have a memory leak in a web application, and have a dump of the offending process.

We can clearly see what the cause of the issue is but can't see the values of the instances to determine exact source of the leak.

You can see in the following screenshot that the value of an instance always says "Internal error in the C# compiler". - Tried to add a screenshot says I can't until I verify my account.

So I will try to describe the issue: On the Heap View when using "Debug Managed Memory" I select to view all instances of say the type String and rather than display the value is displays  "Internal error in the C# compiler".

I though perhaps it was related to symbols so made sure that I had loaded all the symbols using the Tools > Options > Debugging > Symbols > Load all symbols, but this didn't resolve the problem.

Has anyone experienced this issue before, any ideas on what could be causing it?

Using Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise, not sure what other information would be helpful to you.

Thursday, May 18, 2017 9:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Al-Strick,

Please view menu Tools-> Options > debugging > enable Use Managed Compatibility Mode, and then debug your dump file, how about the result?

For the dump file debugging issue, I suggest you report a feedback:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/misc/cs0583

You could submit it through the VS2017 help menu->report feedback now.

Thanks,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Sunday, May 28, 2017 9:40 AM
  • Hi Al-Strick,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. 

What about this problem now?

Would you mind letting us know the latest information about this issue?

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 7:51 AM
  • Hello,

I have exactly the same issue when I try to debug a w3wp.exe process hosting SharePoint 2016 on a machine running Windows Server 2016 and Visual Studio 2017 15.2 (26430.6).

I tried what you suggested and it fixed the issue immediately, so thank you very much for your help :)

Yvan

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 12:34 PM
  • You are welcome, Yvan.

Thanks,

Jack

MSDN Community Support

Friday, June 2, 2017 8:22 AM
  • Thank you for the workaround, however are there plans to fix this in an update for VS anytime?

It's an ok workaround for one person I guess, but it's a bit of a hassle that everyone on my team must do it. 

Either that, or not have basic, common, debugging functionality.

Saturday, July 14, 2018 8:47 AM