none
40GB PATA doesnt work (done) RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone why my 40GB PATA harddrive doesnt work with WHS? With Windows Xp and Windows Server 2003 all works fine. The WHS works only with my 80GB SATA

Edit: With the WHS rc it works fine

Saturday, June 9, 2007 2:03 PM

All replies

• WHS hardware requirements:
    • 1 GHz Pentium 3 (or equivalent)
    • 512 MB RAM
    • 70 GB as the primary
    • 100 Mbps NIC
    In addition, during installation you need KVM and a DVD-ROM drive.
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 2:43 PM
  • It should find it and add to storage pool-if you want to. Are drive jumpers set correctly, and is the cable OK? Power plug in?

As to installing on 40GB, it's below the min spec, so may not be allowed. I recall some people have installed on small primaries, but it cripples the system somewhat
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 3:32 PM
  • I iniatially installed my system on a 40G PATA drive. Then after reading the instructions, I started over and installed it on the larger 300GB drive and added the 40GB drive as a data drive. Mine is workin well with no problems.

I would guess that there may be a configuation problem in the BIOS or the jumpers on the drives.

Saturday, June 9, 2007 3:40 PM
  • I currently have my WHS system files on a 60GB drive without problem. During the installation, the setup routine will parition off 10GB for the OS and necessary WHS files and the remainder of the drive becomes your drive D: where all the mount points for the drive extender service are set.

Can you clarify if you are trying to use this as your system drive or to add into the storage pool?

Saturday, June 9, 2007 6:43 PM
  • I was able to add and remove a 40GB HDD to an all-ready running WHS box without any problems. Are you sure there is nothing physically wrong with the drive?  Maybe try and format it using another computer to completly remove anything on it, then try and add it to the server.
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 6:56 PM