Issue with reported size on disk for D partition RRS feed

• Question

• I have a strange issue with reported size on disk for the D drive,  D:\shares folder and the D:\DE\shares folder

1. When I get drive properties for D drive it reports almost 48GB size on disk (which is correctly reported by WHS console)
    2. When I get properties for D:\shares it reports almost 40GB size on disk
    3. When I get properties for D:\DE\shares it reports almost 40GB size on disk

So size on disk of 2 and 3 together are larger then the total size on disk for D partition!!

Normally I would expect there were only (or primarily) tombstones in D:\shares. From the size reported for the D partition (and the size reported for the sys partition / free space) you would conclude this is all OK. However when I check the properties for D:\shares (or any file or folder contained in them) using windows explorer the size on disk tells me these are not tombstones.

Bugged: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=355600

WHS PP1 build 1776, all critical updates installed.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 9:02 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server is meant to be a "headless" solution where all access is via the Windows Home Server Console or via the Remote Access website or simply accessing the functionalty through the Connector Tray Icon or through built-in functionality in a home computer operating system.  We want to rely less and less (and hopefully - never) on people having to RDP to their home servers to accomplish something.   We left the RDP capability in the initial release to allow enthusiasts and support personnel to have a way to back-door the system for troubleshooting issues. 

If you have a monitor plugged into your home server and you expect to use the software as a desktop PC, or use and RDP session, and expect everything to work as expected (as things work in a native release of Windows Server 2003) then you are looking for a set of solutions that the team prioritizes as things that we will most likely mark as "Won't Fix".  

There are a lot of things we need to do to make Drive Extender work, and some of the decisions are based on the fact that we don't prioritize making Windows Home Server behave 100% the same as Windows Server 2003 when accessed from an RDP session.  That is why that warning pops up in IE when you access the Administrative Desktop on a home server through an RDP sesssion. 

Nonetheless, THANKS for submitting a bug report through Connect for this issue, so the team can be aware of the issues you are finding, so that people on the team can see the logs and investigate thie issue.

Friday, July 11, 2008 2:56 PM
  • Todd,

I don't recall posting this one as a question, however thanks for your elaborate reply, and I fully understand your arguments. However:

1. With this specific "bug" there is no longer an easy way to check if demigrator is doing it's job properly. In RTM version size on disk for each file in a share or the backup folder should be 4 kB when the demigrator is doing it's job properly. This has proved to be very useful to pinpoint and solve specific user problems in RTM and earlier versions.

2. This is not just about things working as they are in W2K3. It's a fundamental change in the way Windows explorer show the properties of files / partition.

Sunday, July 13, 2008 9:22 AM
  •  brubber wrote:
    Todd,

I don't recall posting this one as a question, however thanks for your elaborate reply, and I fully understand your arguments. However:

1. With this specific "bug" there is no longer an easy way to check if demigrator is doing it's job properly. In RTM version size on disk for each file in a share or the backup folder should be 4 kB when the demigrator is doing it's job properly. This has proved to be very useful to pinpoint and solve specific user problems in RTM and earlier versions.

2. This is not just about things working as they are in W2K3. It's a fundamental change in the way Windows explorer show the properties of files / partition.

Ohhh, that's what you meant before.  Wow I was waaaaay off base. Smile  I validated your report (although I suspect that's where the WHS team wants it at this point).

Sunday, July 13, 2008 6:28 PM