MS Money 2005 UK - Share Portfolio RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My programme is UK Money 2005. How do I use my share portfolio to enter the details in my portfolio for the recent transaction in vodafone

1 new shares consolidate 6 new shares for 11 old ones - I received 4272 new shares from my holding of 7833 old shares 

2 return of value - verizon shares - I received 206 shares

3 return of value  - cash £2,315

Friday, March 21, 2014 9:58 AM

All replies

• I'm not in the UK so there may be some terminology differences, but here are my suggestions.

1. Just do a 7283 to 4272 split.  View Investment Details>Record a Split

2.  Since you received shares as a "return of value", record them as "add shares" with an almost zero (0.00000001) price.  In the US, this will increase the number of shares that you hold without any immediate taxable income.  When you sell the shares you will pay capital gains with a basis of zero for those shares.  Posters should correct me in if this is not the way it works in the UK.

3.  "Return of value" sounds like what in the US would be "Non-dividend distribution".  It's a payment that you receive from a investment that is not a dividend but rather reduces your original purchase price.  It would be entered as a  "Non-dividend Distribution" which is a choice the Activity menu when you enter transaction.  Again, it may be that the UK menu uses a different term.

Bill Becker

Saturday, March 22, 2014 2:28 AM
  • Greetings BobRob,

I am UK based and have been using MS Money, and its investment functionality, for years. I only hold Vodafone indirectly through a couple of Investment Trusts, but I was in BT when it did something similar with mmO2. Bill's advice, below, matches what I did in November 2001. 

HMRC will tell you how they propose to compute Capital Gains Tax at the time anyone sells their new Verizon Shares and/or Vodafone shares - if you can't find the answer on the internet. This may affect the best way to record things in your Money 2005. 

Certainly, from HMRC's point of view, the value of your holdings did not change at the time of the Vodafone conversion - so, within Money 2005 UK, the sum of: new Vodafone shares + new Verizon shares + cash distribution  must be the same as the old Vodafone shares alone. Provided this is the case, Money 2005 will reflect your 'Net Worth' correctly.

I have not found MS Money very useful for recording or computing UK Capital Gains Tax - I do that separately within Excel spreadsheets, having exported 'Reports' (of shareholding transactions) from Money.

Teabag 

Saturday, March 22, 2014 8:55 AM
  • TeaBag2,

Thank your for your reply. As you are in the UK perhaps I can ask you more questions. I do not need his for my submission to HMRC as my Account will do this along with my other earnings. Unfortunately she does not use or know Money 2005. What I need to know is how to compete Money UK 2005

1. new shares consolidate 6 new shares for 11 old ones - I received 4272 new shares from my holding of 7833 old shares 

Before the share split on 21 February 2014 the shares were 236.5p

1. return of value - verizon shares - I received 206 shares

The share portion with investors getting 0.026 Verizon shares that for each Vodafone shares they own  - that was worth 72 pence 

1. return of value  - cash £2,315

The share price of was at 190p per share just before Vodafone confirmed talks on 29 August 2013

How do I complete Money portfolio using this or any other data?

Saturday, March 22, 2014 12:16 PM
  • Bill

Your suggestions are well received but as our tax system is different from the US then our Money 2005 is different eg we do not have a Non-dividend distribution or record a split

If you have any more suggestion please keep them coming.

Saturday, March 22, 2014 12:27 PM
  • Hi BobRob,

I have stuck with MS Money 2000 English International  8.0.14.1015  ~ what follows may not match your version of the program.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/10664496/Verizon-deal-How-I-will-invest-my-Vodafone-windfall-money.html

has told me all I know about the Vodafone restructure - it appears that your Verizon shares are more valueable than you thought - £28 each.

Within MS Money and from your Home Page > Investing > See investment accounts > (whatever you exactly call your Vodafone account) > View = Account Summary > More account tasks > Record a Special Activity > Record Split   ~  so record the split 6 for 11.

Within MS Money and from your Home Page > Investing > See investment accounts > (whatever you exactly call your Vodafone account) > View = Account Summary > More account tasks > Add an Investment  ~  create your new Verizon account here.

Within MS Money and from your Home Page > Investing > See investment accounts > (whatever you exactly call your Vodafone account) > View = Investment Transactions > NEW > Activity = Return of capital  ~  record your £2315 windfall.

Hope this helps.

Teabag

Saturday, March 22, 2014 5:07 PM
  • Teabag,

Sorry I have not replied to you sooner. However, your 2000 version is unlike the 2005 version BUT you have given me good ideas which coupled with my accounts comments made me see the way forward.

I think I now have the process but I will wait for my tax return to make sure that all is OK. What is definite is that I would not be able to get this far without your help and advice.  

Sunday, March 30, 2014 9:48 AM