80mm DVD Drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any manufacturer that makes a DVD drive that would fit inside a floppy drive bay? It looks like there is a possibility that WHS will fit on a 80mm DVD and I want to conserve as much space as possible.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 2:46 AM

All replies

• If it's only for install why not just use a USB attached drive?

Gordon

Thursday, June 7, 2007 12:40 PM
  • Because the typical WHS user doesn't have a USB DVD drive.

Friday, June 8, 2007 1:08 AM
  • I don't believe you can purchase a small factor drive for only 80mm discs. Most cases would have a 5.25" slot anyway. What case are you looking at getting?
    Friday, June 8, 2007 5:57 AM
  •  dude500 wrote:
    I don't believe you can purchase a small factor drive for only 80mm discs. Most cases would have a 5.25" slot anyway. What case are you looking at getting?

I'm looking at the SilverStone SG03. The 5.25" dirve bay will be used for a QuadraPack Q14. (I still need a buyer because these parts aren't cheap.)

I could also use the SilverStone SG02 but that won't look nearly as cool as the SG03 (or I can pack 8 drives into the SG02 and froget about the DVD drive) Edit: this won't work because the case isn't deep enough.

Friday, June 8, 2007 6:40 AM
  • You can hook up the DVD drive temporarily.  It's only needed for the install, after that you can remove it.  As long as you can get the DVD drive and one hard disk configured, you can do the install, pull the DVD, attach the rest of the drives and finish the configuration.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 6:53 PM