Migrating to CRM 4.0 from 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of migrating our CRM from v3 to 4 and frankly its giving me nightmares.

The facts

Server 2003r2 fully patched
    SQL 2005 fully patched

SQL 2005 and CRM 4 have been installed on a new server, no problems but when i go to import organization wizard and point it at the old CRM 3 server it says something along the libes of Cannot find the correct CRM database on that server. It does however find another db that as far as i can see holds no data, i believe it is a legacy from a botched install before i got to this workplace

OK, so i have tried copying the corect database to the new server and trying to import it from the local SQL, again not working... cannot find the db i want....next i backed up and restored the database to the new server....cannot find again.....

What can i do? ive been trying for days to get this sorted, why cant CRM 4 see the correct CRM 3 database

I have tried deleting the incorrect db on the new server but it has no effect, it can only see this particular db

Am i going about this all wrong?

Are there some fields in MSCRM_CONFIG i need to alter?

Thanks for any help offered
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:51 PM

Answers

• Just curious, did you install CRM 4.0 over your CRM 3.0 install, or are you trying to import your 3.0 database into 4.0?  You have to do the upgrade in place and install 4.0 on a server that your 3.0 environment is installed on.  If you want it to be on a new server, redeploy your 3.0 database to the new environment, install 3.0, connecting to the existing database, then install 4.0.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:43 PM

All replies

• Just curious, did you install CRM 4.0 over your CRM 3.0 install, or are you trying to import your 3.0 database into 4.0?  You have to do the upgrade in place and install 4.0 on a server that your 3.0 environment is installed on.  If you want it to be on a new server, redeploy your 3.0 database to the new environment, install 3.0, connecting to the existing database, then install 4.0.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:43 PM
  • you cant do direct migration,  either use scribe or  upgradation is the best solution of complete data will be migrated

Regards,

Imran

http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:40 PM
  • Unfortunately you are going about it all wrong. You cannot directly bring a crm 3 database into a crm 4 system. Review the implementation guide's planning guide from Microsoft downloads for migration paths.

The short version is you need to upgrade the crm 3 system first and then import the new organisation database into crm 4.

Depending on the compatibility of your new server to crm 3 and 4 you could install crm 3 on your new server, bring the crm 3 DB across via redeployment and upgrade or you could create a virtual server, install crm 3 on that, migrate the crm 3 DB to that, upgrade and then bring the upgraded crm 4 DB to the new server. Finally, if it is compatible you could upgrade crm 3 on the old server, grab the upgraded crm 4 DB and bring that across to the new server.

Leon Tribe
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:24 PM