How do I View the WHS log files RRS feed

• Question

• Maybe I am missing something but if I want to look at the log files to see what happened with my WHS how do I do this with the console?  I can't find it anywhere.
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 11:10 PM

Answers

• I don't think you can, via the WHS Console. Instead, you could:-
    a) Remote Desktop (under Start->Accessories) to the host - log on as Administrator with your WHS password. Then go to the event viewer, or
    b) Go to Event Viewer (Administrative Tools) on your local machine, then under Actions select "Connect to Remote Computer". Then provide the name of the WHS server, and username/password.

Note that by default you won't be able to do (b). In order to do it you may need to open up an exception on the host firewall.

If you get access denied errors for (b), try the following...
    i) bring up a command prompt
    ii) type "runas /netonly /user:Administrator "eventvwr.exe"
    iii) when prompted, type in the WHS Server admin password
    iv) Then, when the program starts, connect to remote computer, and do not set a user.

Hope this helps,

Ian
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 11:52 PM

All replies

• I don't think you can, via the WHS Console. Instead, you could:-
    a) Remote Desktop (under Start->Accessories) to the host - log on as Administrator with your WHS password. Then go to the event viewer, or
    b) Go to Event Viewer (Administrative Tools) on your local machine, then under Actions select "Connect to Remote Computer". Then provide the name of the WHS server, and username/password.

Note that by default you won't be able to do (b). In order to do it you may need to open up an exception on the host firewall.

If you get access denied errors for (b), try the following...
    i) bring up a command prompt
    ii) type "runas /netonly /user:Administrator "eventvwr.exe"
    iii) when prompted, type in the WHS Server admin password
    iv) Then, when the program starts, connect to remote computer, and do not set a user.

Hope this helps,

Ian
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 11:52 PM
  • As Ian says, the WHS event logs aren't exposed through the WHS Console. You would have to log in through Remote Desktop or connect remotely to view the logs.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 12:45 AM
  • Why aren't the log files available through the console, at least through the settings screen?  Is this to keep it simple?
    Monday, April 30, 2007 1:26 AM
  • The average purchaser of WHS, according to Microsoft's market research, is likely to be a technically unsophisticated user who's just trying to protect and extend his home network, without a lot of understanding of system administration concepts. So yes, it's to keep it simple.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 1:44 AM
  • Now you can use WHS Toolkit to view event logs from the console, although it doesn't give access to the WHS logs themselves.  Those are kind of buried in 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs'.  I put a shortcut for them on the WHS Desktop.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 5:33 PM