Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000000 in ntdll.dll in ntdll.dll!TppCleanupGroupMemberDestroy() RRS feed

• Question

• Lately one of our customers is facing irreproducable access violations with this call stack:

>    ntdll.dll!TppCleanupGroupMemberDestroy()    Unknown
         ntdll.dll!TppAlpcpFree()    Unknown
         ntdll.dll!TpReleaseAlpcCompletion()    Unknown
         rpcrt4.dll!RPC_THREAD_POOL_ALPC::`scalar deleting destructor'(unsigned int)    Unknown
         rpcrt4.dll!LRPC_CASSOCIATION::~LRPC_CASSOCIATION()    Unknown
         rpcrt4.dll!LRPC_CASSOCIATION::`vector deleting destructor'(unsigned int)    Unknown
         rpcrt4.dll!LRPC_CASSOCIATION::RemoveAssociationDictionaryReference(void)    Unknown
         rpcrt4.dll!LRPC_CASSOCIATION::LrpcDeleteLingeringAssociations(void)    Unknown
         rpcrt4.dll!PerformGarbageCollection()    Unknown
         ntdll.dll!TppTimerpExecuteCallback()    Unknown
         ntdll.dll!TppWorkerThread()    Unknown
         kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk()    Unknown
         ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart()    Unknown

Error message is:

> Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFEF183E7D3 (ntdll.dll) in NGen1.dmp: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000000.

The application core is written in c++ with Visual Studio 2013. The application core has a COM interface and a c++/cli interface to call components and to be called by components. The components are written in c#, some in vb.net.

ntdll.dll is:

> ntdll.dll C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 10.0.17763.1192 (WinBuild.160101.0800) 17.12.2016 10:22

We tried to use Marshal.FinalReleaseComObject to release the com objects created in the application core and handed out to the components as soon as possible, but it didn't seem to have any positive effect.

What options do we have to find the cause of the acception?

Wednesday, October 7, 2020 7:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Holger Schmidt mc,

Thank you for posting here.

>>Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFEF183E7D3 (ntdll.dll) in NGen1.dmp: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000000.

Access violation reading location 0 means that you tried to read a null pointer, so you need to check if something is null in the code.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 8, 2020 2:41 AM
  • Hi Xingyu Zhao,

thanks for your answer.

The access violation is in ntdll.dll. If the access violation was in my code, I would have fixed it already.

I think this is an access violation in the garbage collector.

I have some full dumps. Maybe somebody at Microsoft could have a look at them?

Best Regards,

Holger Schmidt

Wednesday, October 14, 2020 7:03 AM
  • Hi Holger Schmidt mc,

Thanks for your feedback.

>>I think this is an access violation in the garbage collector.

In order to get more help on this problem, you can also consider posting your question on Developer Community forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 14, 2020 7:19 AM