none
Loss of Points RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
         Last time I checked the number of points I had, I was at around 710-715, but now when I just checked, I'm back down to 634! Why? I can understand  fluctuation of a few points as a result of questions being turned into discussions, but I can't understand the loss of 100 points!

Can anyone tell me how to get my points back?

Thanks!
    chukrum47
    How are a plum and a rabbit similar? They're both purple, except for the rabbit.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 2:41 PM

Answers

• There are rather a lot of threads that you contributed to that were changed to "Discussion" by the Chinese techs in the C# General forum.  Several of which in which you got a Helpful mark.  It is a rather regrettable policy, but it is their assigned job, aimed to make the "threads that were answered" statistic look good.  It shows up in an internal report that is circulated inside Microsoft.

I don't recognize their names, there has been a lot of turn-over in the Chinese group.  I would suggest you start a thread in that forum and directly address Harry Zhu and Guo Surfer, pointing out that their moderating is costing you recognition points.  Good luck.

Hans Passant.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:02 PM
  • While I can understand how them marking a post as answered makes the "threads that were answered" statistics look good, I don't understand how changing a thread type to Discussion helps with this. 

Can you explain?

The only thing I can thing of is that if *an unanswered* thread (i.e. one where no-one has marked any post as an answer) is changed into a Discussion then the percentage of questions (type=question) that have been answered automatically goes up if only very marginally.

Of course if they are doing this type change on a massive scale then it will have some noticeable effect on their stats.

The whole thing seems quite mad. Here am I changing the types used in posts from Discussion to Question so that people get due credit for their contributions to the thread and there they are (in thankfully another set of forums) changing threads back to type Discussion for what we can only assume are purely self-interest reasons as no other reason seems to make sense.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 8:00 PM

All replies

• There are rather a lot of threads that you contributed to that were changed to "Discussion" by the Chinese techs in the C# General forum.  Several of which in which you got a Helpful mark.  It is a rather regrettable policy, but it is their assigned job, aimed to make the "threads that were answered" statistic look good.  It shows up in an internal report that is circulated inside Microsoft.

I don't recognize their names, there has been a lot of turn-over in the Chinese group.  I would suggest you start a thread in that forum and directly address Harry Zhu and Guo Surfer, pointing out that their moderating is costing you recognition points.  Good luck.

Hans Passant.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:02 PM
  • While I can understand how them marking a post as answered makes the "threads that were answered" statistics look good, I don't understand how changing a thread type to Discussion helps with this. 

Can you explain?

The only thing I can thing of is that if *an unanswered* thread (i.e. one where no-one has marked any post as an answer) is changed into a Discussion then the percentage of questions (type=question) that have been answered automatically goes up if only very marginally.

Of course if they are doing this type change on a massive scale then it will have some noticeable effect on their stats.

The whole thing seems quite mad. Here am I changing the types used in posts from Discussion to Question so that people get due credit for their contributions to the thread and there they are (in thankfully another set of forums) changing threads back to type Discussion for what we can only assume are purely self-interest reasons as no other reason seems to make sense.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 8:00 PM

Can you explain?

Good observations here.

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, May 24, 2012 11:14 PM