Re: Genuine Windows or just a Cash Grab from Microsoft? Reply and question to previous posts RRS feed

• Question

•  

Dear Dan IT Tech,

Howi find my COA? and if I can't find it or this computer doesn't have one what am I supposed to do about this "counterfeit" problem? The computer was donated to me from an organization who helps single moms' with disabilities get computers and this is what is on it, I've updated it so many times and only this last time did I get zonked with this validation issue. Am I stuck having to buy something that I can't afford because the copy in my computer isn't right? If I buy an authentic version of XP from a store, will it overwrite what's on my computer already or will I lose everything on here?

Thank you Lisa

Re: Genuine Windows or just a Cash Grab from Microsoft?

Dear Phil,

Here is the copy to my clipboard and what it says: Now what do I do?

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):

--------------------

Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-DY9FX-C6FXG-R72RT

Windows Product Key Hash: p9TMxFFO0tHeYqlNK1zFnkjRBa0=

Windows Product ID: 55274-646-9147304-23058

Windows Product ID Type: 1

Windows License Type: Volume

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro

Download Center code: Expired code.

ID: 6cdac8ca-fc47-426a-a6ab-a7797e64299a

Is Admin: Yes

AutoDial: No

Registry: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0.

Signature Type: Microsoft.

Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete

Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 114

Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>6cdac8ca-fc47-426a-a6ab-a7797e64299a</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-R72RT</PKey><PID>55274-646-9147304-23058</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1993962763-839522115-842925246</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>IBM</Manufacturer><Model>6892N9U</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>IBM</Manufacturer><Version>NVKT49AUS</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="1"/><Date>19991018000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>318736A701840059</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>    <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57790</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Lisa

Posted by Dan at IT Associates in Feedback and Comments

Lbfightsms,

Right now, your IBM computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 6), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 1).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

More bad news is that your installation of Office Professsional 2003 is NonGenuine.  (Office Status:  114=nongenuine)

Your next step is to look on the computer or in the materials supplied with the computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA. ...

To read more:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=492239&SiteID=25

Report Abuse 
      06-21-2006, 2:13 AM UTC
    Dan at IT Associates

Posts 726
    Was this post helpful ?

Lbfightsms,

Right now, your IBM computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 6), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 1).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

More bad news is that your installation of Office Professsional 2003 is NonGenuine.  (Office Status:  114=nongenuine)

Your next step is to look on the computer or in the materials supplied with the computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  In your case we would expect it to read "IBM."

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.msp

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp

Monday, June 26, 2006 3:18 PM

Answers

• Lbfightsms,

The certificate of Authenticity is normally applied to the top, side or back of a desktop computer and to the bottom of a laptop computer.

This page shows you what the current ones look like and has a link to see what older ones look like:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

If the computer does not have a COA, and the Operating System-related materials that came with the computer do not have a COA, then it's most likely not licensed to run XP or any other Windows for that matter.

In your situation, my suggestion would be to return it to the agency that gave it to you and ask for a replacement.

To answer your question about buying a copy, the least expensive edition of XP is XP Home, but in order to go from XP Pro to XP Home, you have to do a clean installation, which means that all of the personal info on the computer has to be offload or backed up, because if it is not, it will be erased in the process of cleanly installing XP Home.  And since you do not have a previous Windows Operating System, you would have to buy the full version of XP Home whihc normally sells for $199.  So given that price tag, it would be cheaper to see if you qualify for the Genuine Windows Offer, which would "legalize" the installation of XP Pro you have now for $149.

Please don't buy anything until you talk to the agency that gave you the computer.  If your computer is like this, then it's likely many others that they gave out are like this too, so I don't think you'll be the first one to call them and report this problem.

Monday, June 26, 2006 4:12 PM