restarting network connection RRS feed

• Question

• due to my mystake, I have shutdown the network card on my WHS 2011 which cancel my remote connection. So after a reboot of the server, the network card can get back its IP address from the DHCP server but I am ubale to ping to it and of course to connect to the server.

So i am looking at a easy way to restore the full connection capabilities.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:09 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your help,

The solution was close to the  the "full backup"but simpler : I have unplug the C: drive and connected it as a slave drive though an USB drive. Then I have copy the full registry files from c:/windows/system32/config/Regback to c:/windows/system32/config.

The result was not so bad : the server was ready to run "normally" again and some few minor problems were easy to solve after.

• Marked as answer by Lucky_35 Thursday, October 27, 2011 11:32 AM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 11:31 AM

All replies

• If you had backed up your server that shouln't be a big problem

if not.....

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:40 PM

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:58 PM
  • On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 21:58:49 +0000, Phil  Harrison wrote:

Giving the OP at least some credit here, one has to make the assumption
    that the server in question is headless.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Creativity is great, but plagiarism is faster!

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:26 AM
  • So after a reboot of the server, the network card can get back its IP address from the DHCP server

This makes it sound like your server is getting an IP address allocated via DHCP. If so, I'm not sure i'm understanding why you think the nic has been disabled. If the nic has been disabled, though, and your server is headless as Paul has assumed, you can probably connect a usb keyboard and blindly work your way through re-enabling it. I'm not in a position to give you a keystroke-by-keystroke walkthough, I'm afraid, but it should be nearly identical to Windows 7, if that's of any help.

Your only alternative will be restoring a backup of your server from before your disabled your network connection, or reinstalling the product.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Lucky_35 Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:02 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Lucky_35 Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:03 AM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:12 PM
  • Thanks for your help,

The solution was close to the  the "full backup"but simpler : I have unplug the C: drive and connected it as a slave drive though an USB drive. Then I have copy the full registry files from c:/windows/system32/config/Regback to c:/windows/system32/config.

The result was not so bad : the server was ready to run "normally" again and some few minor problems were easy to solve after.

• Marked as answer by Lucky_35 Thursday, October 27, 2011 11:32 AM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 11:31 AM