none
Synctoy Deleting Files Instead of Copying!! RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Synctoy for years.  Just switched to Windows 7 and it won't work.  I have it set up to Echo, left to right.  I first noticed it wasn't deleting files on the right.  On further check it wasn't saving some folders and it was saying it needed to rename etc. files that I hadn't touched.  I've been trying to different approaches like just copying small folders. 

Today I reinstalled and tried to copy my data folders from my internal drive to my external backup drive which is my normal procedure.  All files (but not the folders) were deleted on the external drive!!

Fortunately I have the option set to send all deleted files to the recycle bin.  Nevertheless, it was nerve racking watching this happen.  I let it run all the way and then checked my external drive, just to be sure.  Restoring everything from the recycle bin put things right but it is devastating to have to give up this elegant little program and find something that works as simply.

Is there a fix for this.  If not, what other program works as well as Synctoy used to.
    Saturday, October 20, 2012 6:43 PM

All replies

• On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 18:43:11 +0000, Mitrajoon wrote:
    >I have been using Synctoy for years.  Just switched to Windows 7 and it won't work.  I have it set up to Echo, left to right.  I first noticed it wasn't deleting files on the right.  On further check it wasn't saving some folders and it was saying it needed to rename etc. files that I hadn't touched.  I've been trying to different approaches like just copying small folders. 
    >
    >Today I reinstalled and tried to copy my data folders from my internal drive to my external backup drive which is my normal procedure.  All files (but not the folders) were deleted on the external drive!!  <SNIP>

Hello Mitrajoon,

Synchtoy works fine for me on Vista and on Win 7.  Perhaps you have
    forgotten how to set up Synchtoy in Echo mode.  The target folder on the
    external drive should be empty to allow Synchtoy to build its database
    properly.  Once the database is constructed, I think that you will find
    that Synchtoy works as before.  Your preexisting files on the external
    drive were deleted because they are not in the new (empty) Synchtoy
    database.  This is normal behavior for Synchtoy on all versions of
    Windows.

So create a new, empty folder on the external drive and point Synchtoy  to
    that folder.  Echo mode will copy all of the designated files and folders
    to that folder.  After you have verified that the synch is successful, you
    can delete your previous synch folder, if you like.

Doug M. in NJ
    USA

Saturday, October 20, 2012 11:16 PM
  • I had no idea that would be necessary. Keep in mind I have been backing files up like this for years without problems (as far as I know). I would need to delete thousands of pictures and other files on my external drive or (format the disc) and start and new backup.  I've been using Synctoy for years so I am  dismantling all that work.  I don't understand why this should be or why it would start happening now unless it has something to do with converting to Windows7.

To be clear I am not just copying a file.  I am copying all the data files on one drive to another.  In other words D:\ to J:\

I'm also concerned that I won't know when or if this will happen again.  Is this something that Synctoy does periodically?  Sort of like requiring a fresh install?

I appreciate your response, but if you have a deeper explanation about how this happens or how to prevent this from happening I would appreciate that as well.

• Edited by Mitrajoon Saturday, October 20, 2012 11:35 PM
    Saturday, October 20, 2012 11:33 PM
  • Mitrajoon,

> Is this something that Synctoy does periodically?  Sort of like requiring a fresh install?

No.  It occured simply because you created a new Synctoy pair, which means that a new Synctoy database is created from scratch.  Whenever I get a new PC, I have to recreate my Synctoy pairs.  It has always worked that way.

When you run an echo synch pair for the first time, Synctoy clears the right-side folders and copies all designated files from the left folders to the right folder.  That's what "echo" means.  Then Synctoy creates *.dat files on both sides of the synch pair and in the folder \AppData\Local\Microsoft\SyncToy.  Those *.dat files are critical - if they are later lost, the synch pair must be recreated.

>I would need to delete thousands of pictures and other files on my external drive or (format the disc) and start and new backup.

Sure, but that is easy if the external drive contains only synched files.  In Windows Explorer, simply use Ctrl+A to select the top-level folders and then click Delete.  No need to format.   I don't let Synctoy do the deletions for a new pair because there can be errors due to items that it cannot delete, and the errors may be nearly impossible to find.

Doug M. in NJ

Sunday, October 21, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Thanks for the explanation, I was not aware that Synctoy worked that way.  I will delete and rerun today.
    Sunday, October 21, 2012 8:56 PM