Just bought HP WHS server. What is best current hard drive to expand. RRS feed

• Question

• Since hard drives re released almost weekly, any suggestions for expansion? I should get my HP next week and am interested in large capacity expansion. I am thinking of two drives, 750GB or greater to add. My concern is for longevity, low temp and quiet over speed as a large part of the network is limited to 100MB/S ethernet.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Monday, June 30, 2008 5:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Paul

I have experience with WD 1TB "green" drives and Samsung 1TB and 750GB drives.

This is my experience with these brands:

The WD is quiet and very cool but for a drive of this size it's quite slow. Measured power consumption is very low. Makes annoying soft rattly noises (sounds just like a laptop drive). I would not use one as the Primary drive in a WHS, but it would make a good low power secondary drive. I bought 2 of these, one had bad sectors out of the box at the 700GB mark. WD's dodgy disagnostic software failed to detect the bad sectors after 2 hours of testing. Seagate Seatools found the bad sectors after 40 seconds of testing (but couldn't repair - wrong brand)

Samsung 750GB & 1TB drives with 32mb cache. I replaced the dodgy WD drive with a Samsung - these things scream along & make the WD's look silly. Great WHS primary drive with sustained network transfers up to 100MB/s for large files. Therse are the drives to have when speed counts, virtually silent also. Nearly double the internal transfer speed of the WD. Use twice the power of the WD's as the tradeoff, hence run a bit warmer also. However, the newer Samsungs don't seem to get really hot like they used to.

Monday, June 30, 2008 6:52 AM
  • Ross, thanks for the info. I am seeking to add either 1.5 TB or 1TB in the form of a pair of 750 or 1TB drives. The Samsung looks like the best bet. I just don't want the little HP box to run too hot.

Paul

Thursday, July 3, 2008 4:57 PM
  • Paul,

It appears that WHS performs better, in the sense of file storage, if extra disks are added in pairs. That is, System and 2 data, System and 4 data etc.

Colin 

Thursday, July 3, 2008 6:19 PM
  • Thanks all for the advice. Bought two Seagate 1TB drives. The system drive is a 500GB Seagate that was in the HP box to begin with.

Paul

Monday, July 7, 2008 7:27 AM
  • May I ask what HP WHS server you purchased? The hardware in my home-built WHS seems to be fragile at best, so I'm considering purchasing a retail WHS server....or perhaps a lower-end HP or Dell server and installing my OEM WHS on that.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:36 PM