Offsite Backup - DVD-RW RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

As I become familiar with the product known as WHS, I start to imagine things to do with the product.

Since backup is central to the theme of the product, it would seem logical to take things to the logical extreme and allow for a way to create off site storage. I, for one, keep backups in a bank safety deposit box.

It would be great if WHS could include a feature to allow one to save all current backups to some designated media (dvd writable discs, external hard drive, or maybe online Windows Live service?, etc.) that can then be taken to an off site storage location. Of course an easy way to reintegrate this backup into WHS should be included should the worst happen and the WHS server fails.

Things to consider.

-CB
    Friday, February 23, 2007 6:03 PM

All replies

• When BD+R/W & HDDVD+R/W drives become more viable along with 25GB+ blank media, then I'll probably start looking into that.  But offloading a couple hundred GB of backups onto DVD does not sounds appealing to me.  Then again, not everyones storage requirements are the same.  Some people may only have a few hundred MB or a couple GB of core data they need and want backed up.  I think I'm too much of a data pack rat ... ;-)
    Friday, February 23, 2007 6:55 PM
  • Hi,
    i think this feature is very important and useful...
    Monday, February 26, 2007 3:23 PM
  • I have a HP Netserver E800 installed as home server, which comes with a tape drive. I just checked and ntbackup is still there allowing you to create a full backup of your system on tape.

So offsite backup will stay an option if you have the hardware for doing this.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, February 26, 2007 8:51 PM
  • I totally agree with this suggestion.  I personally have 50+ gigs of Mp3s and I would love to see a utility in WHS to allow me to backup off-site to a Blu-Ray or HD DVD.  One-Care has this ability so I believe it would not be that difficult to intergrate into WHS.

(R)

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:41 PM